• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encounter Calculator needed

Stevenrs

First Post
I'd really like to find an application or program that would help me figure out the total CR of various beasties in an encounter.

For example, what is the CR of an encounter featuring 4 skeletons, 5 zombies, an evil 5th level cleric, and a small, yappy dog?

A friend of mine said he found one, but the link he sent me doesn't work; I'm now quite frustrated. If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: having googled, and looking at about a dozen sites that say they have encounter calculators, I've concluded that someone must really hate these calculators, as the only one that's actually accessible is the useless thing on the wizards site.

Come on, what point is there in having a calculator that will only work for 1 or 2 crittters, or critter types?

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
I can't think of one off-hand, but a pretty good substitute is those of us who hang around the Rules forum on these boards. Just post the encounter(s) there and the odds are that you'll have an answer in fifteen minutes. Along with a couple of strategy suggestions, comments about why EL is vague, how DR in 3.5 is broken, and an oblique post about Quaal's Feather Tokens. What more could you want :)?

Nitpick: a group of monsters does not have a Challenge Rating (CR); it has an Encounter Level (EL). Only a single monster (or trap, or whatever) can have a CR. Multiple things have an EL.

There's a thread in the rules forum regarding formulae and tools to calculate Encounter Levels from multiple creatures with varying CRs... umm... I can't find it right now, but when I do, I'll edit this message and paste in the link.

Edit: Eureka! The thread was actually in the Software, Computers, and D&D Utilities forum here.

For random generators of every sort, a good source is Irony Games. (They are also known as the provider of a nifty dice server that a lot of people use.)

Last edited:

Stevenrs

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Nitpick: a group of monsters does not have a Challenge Rating (CR); it has an Encounter Level (EL). Only a single monster (or trap, or whatever) can have a CR. Multiple things have an EL.

There's a thread in the rules forum regarding formulae and tools to calculate Encounter Levels from multiple creatures with varying CRs... umm... I can't find it right now, but when I do, I'll edit this message and paste in the link.

Edit: Eureka! The thread was actually in the Software, Computers, and D&D Utilities forum here.

For random generators of every sort, a good source is Irony Games. (They are also known as the provider of a nifty dice server that a lot of people use.)

I tried reading this thread, and I think I broke my brain. Ow.

You guys were just making most of that stuff up, right? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads