• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Encounters- Essentials Only, Moving Forward...

Imaro

Legend
Oh damn... i seek shelter... the sky is falling... again...

Translation: I have nothing to contribute... Does that about sum it up, because I haven't seen anyone claim anything close to "the sky is falling"... In fact what I've seen is people post opinions and views in a pretty rational manner... but thanks for the hyperbole.

Atlemar

Explorer
Mithreinmaethor said:
If you cant have fun by just PLAYING, and not having it be all about you cant have fun unless its done the way you want it to be, then Encounters is definitely not for you.

I personally DM encounters but the people that come out are there for the fun of playing and the camaraderie of others having fun as well.

Yes, all those are great. But what is also great us creating a character. Maybe you're not this way, but I personally am more interested and invested in a character I created. It also helps when someone at the table isn't playing the same character.

And anyway, since Essentials is 100% compatible with previous 4e, why not let the two exist at the same table? Let's have a knight and a PHB1 defender fighter work side by side and see how they play slightly differently yet in a balanced way.

keterys

First Post
Essentials only really "kills" a few classes (ie, the Martial ones) - there are a bunch of other classes. Go ahead and make a new character. Make it your own.

Just not using one of those older books. Use one of the tons of other options to Encounters instead, if that's what you need.

TirionAnthion

First Post
Essentials Nature

Part of the problem lies in the nature of Essentials. WotC views the Encounter program as a game format primarily aimed at new players. That is why they implemented the Essentials program. In the Gen Con Encounters seminar, Chris Tulach was asked about the Essentials only limitation for the Encounters going forward. Chris responded that the Encounters program was not meant to be an "anything goes" format and you should look to other formats for that content. He also implied that a new program was being developed that addresses this issue.

It seems like a new program is being developed with the shorter time format of Encounters, but geared towards more experienced players. Chris stated that WotC was aware of people's concerns regarding character development and were working on a way to address that, outside of Encounters.

For me, I have many experienced players at my Encounters games. I will allow non-Essentials characters at my games. I will also have pre made Essential characters for new players. Ultimately I want to keep my players happy and coming back each week.

In regards to the early post about mandatory fortune pack purchases, I do not think that will be an issue. However, I registered to run the Gamma World Game Day and noticed the following in the instructions pdf that I downloaded for the event.

"PRODUCTS REQUIRED TO PLAY
Each table participating in the D&D GAMMA WORLD Game Day will need the following products, in addition to the materials provided in this kit:

One (1) D&D GAMMA WORLD roleplaying game boxed set – the DM uses the rulebook and tokens from the set during play.

Two (2) D&D GAMMA WORLD booster packs for each player participating in the game. Players should purchase these booster packs at their local
game store prior to sitting down to play."

It looks like they want players to have booster packs of mutations for the event. I will probably provide packs for those who do not want to buy them, with the stipulation that I keep the cards at the end of the event. I should state up front that I do not mind the idea of booster packs and plan to buy them and use them.

Festivus

First Post
Yes, all those are great. But what is also great us creating a character. Maybe you're not this way, but I personally am more interested and invested in a character I created. It also helps when someone at the table isn't playing the same character.

And anyway, since Essentials is 100% compatible with previous 4e, why not let the two exist at the same table? Let's have a knight and a PHB1 defender fighter work side by side and see how they play slightly differently yet in a balanced way.

I suspect there is something not yet announced that will allow the kitchen sink into the game soon enough. My guess, it will be encounters style, meaning short sessions that can be played in 90 minutes or so, but not on fixed day of the week.

If you can't wait for that, try LFR. If LFR isn't in your area, start it :)

Festivus

First Post
Each table participating in the D&D GAMMA WORLD Game Day will need the following products, in addition to the materials provided in this kit:

One (1) D&D GAMMA WORLD roleplaying game boxed set – the DM uses the rulebook and tokens from the set during play.

Two (2) D&D GAMMA WORLD booster packs for each player participating in the game. Players should purchase these booster packs at their local
This seems to contradict what I had been hearing about booster packs being required. I would think that would be an optional component, but magic sealed pack events require purchase.

It also sounds like, from reading this, that they are not including tokens with the game day event kit, which they had been doing recently. I am sure you could proxy in other things for those.

Odd that I am not seeing the download links in my event registration.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It looks like they want players to have booster packs of mutations for the event. I will probably provide packs for those who do not want to buy them, with the stipulation that I keep the cards at the end of the event. I should state up front that I do not mind the idea of booster packs and plan to buy them and use them.

Indeed. I will be doing the same thing.

Cheers!

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
As someone who until recently was organizing one of the larger D&D Encounters (DDE) programs (my 7 tables a week was a few short of Chris T.'s in Seattle) here in the US (shout out to Guardian Games in Portland, OR), I can say the restriction of options will be helpful.

Most of the players playing DDE @ Guardian where new 4e and small number had never played an RPG before. Many of the judges I recruited had DM experience, but not all of them had DMed 4e.

By limiting the scope of DDE it will make it easier to train up new players and integrate new DMs that are not being overwhelmed by a tidal wave of character builds.

Frankly, opening up Chapter 3 of Dark Sun DDE was a huge mistake in my opinion. We had many DMs that had dialed in the threat level of the Monsters/NPCs and knew what the PCs could do or not do. I have heard reports that tables that chose not to keep playing the Pre-Gens waffle-stomped the encounters where before they had been a challenge.

In short DDE is the gateway. The new program in 2011 (and hopefully the reorganized LFR) will be the next step for folks that want "more" in their D&D game.

For DDE to be effective, it should not be all things to all people. I know that it is the only game in town right now for a lot of people, but I would consul patience and see what next year brings.

My two coppers,

bagger245

Explorer

So players actually have to spend money on boosters?

Remove ads