Hafrogman: Cedric, Human Rogue
Dirk: Ricven Spellhand, Human Hexblade
Ivid: Dareios, Human Fighter
IndustryGothica: Willow, Elf Druid/Rogue

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
The Weary Horse Inn

To seasoned adventurers such as yourselves, this is but another dull tavern in another dull town in some nameless province. It is but another passage of time between the challenges of true adventuring. Such is the doldrum of existence – waiting for another opportunity.

Outside the Inn, a fog lies over the town this evening, draping everything in its clammy grasp. The damp cobbled street shines as the light of street lanterns dances across the slick stones. The cold fog chills the bones and shivers the souls of anyone outside.

Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk. The local customers keep their voices low, and the even the clinks of the mugs seem subdued as the fog gathers outside.

When the door opens, every head in the tavern turns. Even the flagons of ale silence themselves. The tavern door swings open. Framed by the lamp-lit fog, a form strides into the room. His heavy, booted footfalls and the jingle of his coins shatter the silence. His brightly colored clothes are draped in loose folds about him and his hat hangs askew, hiding his eyes in the shadows. Without hesitation, he walks to the center of the room and stands proudly in a wide stance with folded arms.

His accented voice speaks, “I have been sent to deliver this message to the heroes amongst you. If you have honor, you will travel to my master’s aid at first light. It is not advisable to travel the Svalich woods at night, the dark forests of Barovia are filled with wolves.”

He pulls from his tunic a sealed letter, addressed to “Saviors.” He drops the letter on the table. “Take the west road from here some thirty miles through the Svalich woods. There you will find my master in Barovia.”

Amid the continued stares, he strides to the bar and says to the wary barkeep, “Fill the glasses, one and all. Their throats are obviously parched.”

He drops a purse heavy with gold on the counter and leaves.

The babble of tavern voices resumes, although somewhat subdued. The letter is lying on the table before you. Dated yesterday, the ink is still not dry and the parchment is crisp. The seal is of a crest you do not recognize.

Barovia. The worms creep beneath our floors and our streets, they feast on the flesh of our dead. High in the castle, the once lord is no longer, the new lord is not yet, without form, void. All is void and vanity.

Ireena, Ireena, Ireena! Long have I kept you at my side, long will I keep you close to my heart! Save my Ireena!

I am the Burgomaster. The Master! Kolyan am I! Soon the worms will feast on me!

Come! Do not tarry!

Endur

First Post
As a member of the lightbringers, Nikolai has studied magical items that are useful for bringing light. One such legend (Knowledge Arcana) concerns the legendary Sunsword.

The first of the Sun Blades, the Sunsword is a mighty weapon against evil and darkness. This silver Bastard Sword is reputed to be particularly potent against undead, especially vampires like the ones that slew Nikolai's family.

This relic has been lost for centuries. But Nikolai thinks it might be somewhere in the general region of the Inn he is staying at now, perhaps even in this nearby land of Barovia.

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
Alessandra Exaultiacien, as a member of the Lightbringers Guild, knows (Knowledge Religion) that the Lightbringers are pledged to fight undead where ever the undead are, tracking them down if necessary. Every member commits to destroy a certain number of undead per year (the member decides what his or her quota is). Most large cities have temples affiliated with the Lightbringers. Each temple is affiliated with its own branch of the Lightbringer organization and there is no central hierarchy.

Endur

First Post
Cedric has never met anyone from Barovia, but he has heard (Gather Information) that the misty Svalich woods surrounding Barovia are full of dangerous wolves.

Rhun

First Post
Skorl downs his ale in one quick pull, his beefy hand large enough to nearly hide the mug that he drinks from. "Thirty miles. Sound like fine hike." The large half-orc then reaches to refill his mug, not noticeably impressed or stunned by the appearance of the man with the accent.

Dareios yawns soundly and scratches his back.

"Strange fellows live in these lands, don't they? - And their writing style is rather superb!"

He laughs for a moment, then glances at Skorl, a bit irritated. "Are you implying that you want to follow the orders of this mad letter?"

Rhun

First Post
The half-orc shrugs his muscular shoulders at Dareios' questions. "Sure...brisk walk through forest. Good for heart." Skorl thumps a fist against his chest. "And," the warrior points to the heavy bag of coins that had been dropped on the counter, "they got gold!"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Cedric wanders over and picks up the letter, skimming over it briefly while he considers the contents. He nods lightly at the comments voiced by the other travels discussing the missive.

"This letter is indeed mad, as is, I expect, the poor soul who wrote it. But he certainly seems to need help most desperately. A nice brisk hike as you say, sounds like fun. The wolves will pace us, keeping us honest in our exercise. I think I'll go with you."

He sits back down, near the half-orc and nods his greetings before considering the human.

"Well, are you going to join us?"

Remove ads