• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Engel

Azure Trance

First Post
Warrior Psychic said:
I am probably going to run the setting canonically, which is saying much for the game considering that I rarely do such a thing. However, I won't make a final decision until the Dreamseed book is released. The few tinkerings I'm thinking about is increasing the power of the Diadoche and the access to Pre-flood technologies.

Oh, and Azure Trance.. if you had not done so already, read pg 97 through page 100. When you read that, you'll totally understand what I'm saying. I don't want to be the person to spoil the game for people. tee hee

Just finished. Hmmm ... that is an interesting twist. Very interesting; I can sort of see how the power centers would be changing and the mood of the setting staying the same. Cool!

Jeph

Explorer
I flipped through it, saw 'scripture skills' or sumsuch mentioned multiple times. What are these things? A magic-ish system?

Merova

First Post
Signum, Sigil and Scriptura

Jeph said:
I flipped through it, saw 'scripture skills' or sumsuch mentioned multiple times. What are these things? A magic-ish system?

Hi all!

Each Engel class receives special powers based upon their Engel order: Michaelite, Gabrielite, Raphaelite, Ramielite and Urielite. At first level, each class recieves the feat "Signum." This opens up the opportunity to purchase four skills of a low power level, much like how "Force" skills work in Star Wars, requiring a specific feat before skill points may be allocated to the skill.

At third level, Engels receive the feat, "Sigil." This opens up four skills of moderate power. Finally, at fifth level, Engels receive "Scriptura" which allows the engel to place skill points into their three most powerful skills.

Ex: Michaelites are leader types. They receive the following special abilities:

Signum:
Inner Calm; offers a bonus to concentration checks.
Soul of the Fellowship; establishes telepathic link with party members.
Strategic Mind; offers morale bonus to attacks and saves.
The Voice; like suggestion.

Sigil:
Hand of God; electric touch attack.
Corona; bonus to CHA.
Lord of the Body; bonus to STR or DEX.
Tohu Wa Bohu; fear attack.

Scriptura:
Bolt of Authority; ranged electrical attack.
Omnipotence; really potent suggestion.
Outcry; sonic attack, save or die!

Typically, there is a hit point expenditure to activate, regardless of success. The other Engel orders have different skills complementing their premise; Gabrielites are warriors. Raphaelites are healers. Ramielites are scholars; Urielites are scouts.

All in all, this is a very interesting game. I like it and plan on running it in a couple of weeks using the setting as written.

Thanks for reading.

---Merova

Warrior Psychic

First Post
What I would really like to see is some Engel-specific prestige classes. Both for Engel that serve the Angelitic Church and for those rare few who Fall.

Call me crazy, but for some insane reason I want to play a Warrior-sage Ramielite armed with a translucent ceramic gunblade (a la FFVIII) and bag full of heretical apocrypha.

Oh, and I want to find out what the "Suchen" skill is. It appears on the character sheet.. but is nowhere to be found in the book..

Azure Trance

First Post
Warrior Psychic said:
What I would really like to see is some Engel-specific prestige classes. Both for Engel that serve the Angelitic Church and for those rare few who Fall.

Call me crazy, but for some insane reason I want to play a Warrior-sage Ramielite armed with a translucent ceramic gunblade (a la FFVIII) and bag full of heretical apocrypha.

Oh, and I want to find out what the "Suchen" skill is. It appears on the character sheet.. but is nowhere to be found in the book..

Errata? Supplements? Hopefully ... need more crunch.

Feliath

First Post
Suchen

"Suchen" is german for Search. If I'm not mistaken (and the title suggests I'm not, since "Engel" is german for Angel), the game was originally written in german and then translated to english and d20 rules, and this is merely a translational botch.

Last edited:

Azure Trance

First Post
That seems like a pretty big botch. Is it possible that there are different interpretations of Gabriel and Uriel? Making a book and not catching on that you switched roles of one common, major, named angel with another seems like something that no one could miss

shadow

First Post
What gives with all these psuedo-JudeoChristian apocalyptic games all the sudden? First it was In Nomine, then Demon:the Fallen, now we have Engel.

Sorry to offer a deviant opinion, but I wasn't too impressed with Engel. I thought the book was to much fluff, and most of the crunch was simply copied from the PHB. Some of ideas were interesting, but I'm a little sick of these dark and moody settings. Post-apocalyptic settings and Angels vs Demons have been done to death. Moreover, I'm sick of these games that really toy with JudeoChristian religions. I'm not against using religion in RPGs, but when dealing with real world religions, I feel companies need to deal with them respectably. Demon:the Fallen gets the worst offender for messing with religion. (BTW, I'm surprised that no Hindus have complained about how their religion was treated in Ravenloft.)

Still I suppose that a lot of this is simply a matter of taste. I suppose that some people really like post-Apocalyptic settings or dark settings featuring Angels vs devils. These people will certainly like Engel.

Remove ads