• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enhancements to XBox 360 Warranty

Lazybones

Adventurer
Peter Moore said:
We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past.
I saw this on another site and having just spent $140 to get my 360 repaired (2 months out of warranty), I am very pleased.

Kudos Microsoft (even if the action was motivated by business and/or legal considerations).

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Lazybones said:
Kudos Microsoft (even if the action was motivated by business and/or legal considerations).

Legal, I would say. The failure rate on them is incredibly high, some say 25-33%. There was a story about one guy who had 11 or 12 break on him. There have been rumblings about a class action suit.

Personally, I've been waiting for the 65 nm version, which is supposed to cut down on the heat, which is the main culprit, apparently. But that's already been delayed from early this year to early next.

Lazybones

Adventurer
trancejeremy said:
Personally, I've been waiting for the 65 nm version, which is supposed to cut down on the heat, which is the main culprit, apparently. But that's already been delayed from early this year to early next.
Well, I've heard that the new units have an extra heat sink installed, which should also help.

Banshee16

First Post
Is it worth it to pick up one of those extra fans that plug into the back? Do they make a difference?

I don't have mine on all the time, and I'm not sure if that's the cause of the heating issue, or if it's just dumb luck.

Banshee

Vocenoctum

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Legal, I would say. The failure rate on them is incredibly high, some say 25-33%. There was a story about one guy who had 11 or 12 break on him. There have been rumblings about a class action suit.

Theoretically, the failure rate of refurb's is probably way too high. The units are sent back and replaced with a unit that was already sent back and tweaked.

It's also possible that the folks having problems are the "power users" that play non-stop, and use it for DVD's when they're not playing.

Tarthalion

First Post
TwistedBishop said:
Those cooling solution add-ons are useless. If you've given the console adequate breathing room, there's not much else you can do.

No they're not. I have one and I've had one on my 360 since the day I bought it over a year ago. In fact, my 360 locks up within 30 minutes if I try to run it without the fan attached.

Do your research though. Some makes/models are much better than others. Avoid anything that feeds off of the 360's power supply.

sfgiants

First Post
On an unrelated note: is it a problem to use the 360 as a DVD player? I have been using it as such for awhile with no problems, but if it is shortening the life of my 360...

Vocenoctum

First Post
sfgiants said:
On an unrelated note: is it a problem to use the 360 as a DVD player? I have been using it as such for awhile with no problems, but if it is shortening the life of my 360...

I think that's the real problem. They surely have done some research into the causes, but haven't said anything.

I've had mine since May06 without problems so far, but I'm not a power-user. I do watch DVD's on it, but don't watch a whole lot of DVD's either.

Remove ads