Enlarge Familiar

Is there any way to make your familiar larger? Specifically, I'm looking to turn my wizard's raven familiar into a giant raven from Frostburn. The effect doesn't need to be permanent. I just think that it would be fun to have a giant raven every now then. (Deep Crow, anyone? :p )

From the spells that specifically target familiars, I've seen some nice buffs but nothing that makes them larger. Are there any options? Would polymorph work? Or am I looking at a custom spell?

Ragmon

Explorer
Well I have some bad news, as far as I know there are no such spells, tho there are various spells that enhance your familiar.

Good news is that you are able to research spells, as in create spells. You are only limited by your imagination and the rules of spell creation (its in the DM or PHB, I my self never created a spell before, some of the EN-world guys might help).

Moorcrys

Explorer
If it were me, I would start with the augment familiar spell from the spell compendium and work from there. Maybe make it a third level spell to increase the familiar's size and spell duration as well as the other benefits granted by the original.

Starfox

Hero
As any spell that works on you also works on your familiar, Beast Shape should do the trick.

Or is this only so in Pathfinder? I get confused.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
"Share Spells
At the master’s option, he may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) he casts on himself also affect his familiar. The familiar must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.
If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the familiar if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the familiar again even if it returns to the master before the duration expires. Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.
A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast)."

This means Enlarge Self, Giant Size and other size changing spells can be cast upon your familiar.
Giant Size your Raven, mount it to stay within 5', and away you go!

Moorcrys

Explorer
The problem is if the familiar moves more than 5 feet from the caster it reverts to its original form. That's a big drawback. I think the op would do better creating a spell specifically for his familiar.

Or polymorph would work. There are stats for a giant raven in frostburn.

The problem is if the familiar moves more than 5 feet from the caster it reverts to its original form. That's a big drawback. I think the op would do better creating a spell specifically for his familiar.

Or polymorph would work. There are stats for a giant raven in frostburn.

Would Polymorph work since the raven's HD is 1/4 and a Giant Raven has much more?

Moorcrys

Explorer
Hey Grogg,

I'd say yes. From the familiar section under wizards in the 3.5 srd:

"Hit Dice
For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher."

So even though your familiar looks like a 1/4HD raven, it's actually an extension of your own power and therefore a higher HD creature for the purposes of the polymorph spell.

frankthedm

First Post
So you want to make the target on your XP total larger? 100xp per character level might not be devastating, but still it will hurt.

images.jpg

Remove ads