Entering into the third act, advice requested.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Okay... here's the thing...

My players have just finished the second "act" of my Dragonstar campaign at level 8. (It ended, as always, with a grand set piece battle. (Though this time they were the ones who were in the tank.)

Sadly, we lost one PC. i only have three players in my campaign, so he was a secondary character being run by one of the other players, still, i don't want to leave the group unequipped.

Anyhow, they're going to be promoted again next session... and probably receive a new squad mate. I told the PC whose secondary character died not to roll up a replacement just yet.

Alright, here's the thing I've been thinking about: In Dragonstar, the dragons are in charge. period. Most specifically, the Red dragons are in charge during the time period when my campaign is set in. So, what I've been thinking about is: Including a dragon in the party.

Now, before you call me insane, here's what I'm thinking. My players brought back rather significant spoils of war after their last assignemnt, certainly enough to attract the attention of some of the higher ups. Furthermore, i have one PC who's a Dragon Shaman (from PHB II) who is Red Dragon focused. He's not evil... yet. I have another PC (a fighter) who is using the Dragon Island group structure from PHB II, he's donated a hefty percentage of his funds to "the Dragon Island Fund". which happens to be a charity organization in Dragonstar (redistributing wealth to less fortunate dragons), Just enough to rack up some points with the people in charge of the fund.

What I was thinking was: have a Juvenile dragon join the party. As a slightly superior officer. (the Major to their captains, or however they are promoted...). now, juvenile dragons are CR 9 (only one "level" higher than the party) and most are large (which means that the fighter could think about mounting him) and they are just old enough to be striking out on their own to start establishing their own horde.

Of course, He is going to make some rather hefty demands of the other players... nothing less than the share of the treasure and proper accommodations that are fitting of a Dragon of his heritage...

plenty of role-play opportunities, but i'm afraid of turning him into a GMPC...

You know, i just realized, it's 2:35 in them Morning for me. I'll get a good night's sleep then check back on this idea. If you happen to read these half-delusional ramblings, and see eve na nugget of redeemable ideas in here, please reply, 'cause i'd love to hear what you think aobut a dragon as an adventuring companion...

Hussar

Legend
Dragon (I forget the number) has an excellent article a year or so ago that detailed evil dragons as PC's. Gave the level breakdown all the way to 20th for all the chromatic dragons. Somewhere around 332 ish or so. That't a good place to start.

monboesen

Explorer
CR 9 (only one "level" higher than the party)

Not to shoot your idea down, but that is not what CR means. In order to determine the dragons potential as a PC type you need to know its HD and its level adjustment (the juvenile red dragons CR of 10 means that it is a suitable challenge for a standard party of four PC's at 10th level and even that is a stretch as dragons are severely undervalued in CR).

A Wyrmling red dragon has 7 HD and a level adjustment of +4, making it equal to a 11th level PC (and it only goes up from there).

A juvenile red dragon has 16 HD and no listed level adjustment, meaning that it is considered beyond 20th level as a PC class.

While that seems a bit high, try comparing it to a 10th level fighter and you will find that it is vastly better in every single way (d12 for HD, all good saves, huge natural armor, 5+ attacks, great damage, area attack=breath weapon, tons of skill points, huge stats, spell abilities and so on).

So if you want to utilize your idea I think you need to use a younger, smaller red dragon, otherwise your new npc will dominate the game completely.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Right. I've read the replies, and it was just a 2-am Caffeine-withdrawal inspired plot device...

Hmm... well, I got six days to think of something. Maybe a Half-dragon (at the appropriate ECL. for the rest of the party, perhaps a bard?)

Remove ads