ENWorld locking up IE11

GreyLord

Legend
I'm coming here on chrome, which I normally do not do. When going to ENworld on IE11, it is locking up. I think it has to do with the latest banner update and something wonky with it. The page loads fine right up until either the runthrough banner with the news (which switches from thing to thing) or the add on top loads. I believe it is the run through banner at the top of the page right above the news stories and below the top ad (so it has two updated stories which you can select which one or it switches back and forth).

The ads show in chrome, but the moving banner (with two stories currently that I can see in IE) does not, which is perhaps what is preventing the lock up in chrome.

GreyLord

Legend
It started today. I first tried logging in about 2 or 3 hours ago, and I simply couldn't get logged on. Tried several different ways, closing IE and then reopening, etc.

The ads will load, but it locks up, and the banner (with the switching topics/news articles) is the one item that seems to basically be there, but remains blank and the page just locks up and has the loading symbol interminably.

Finally, I switched to Chrome and this was my first post on the topic.

I have the ads showing in Chrome, but something in chrome stops that banner from loading so it's just a white strip.

darjr

I crit!
I can't seem to recreate the issue. Did you try deleting your browser cache? How long does it normally take to load the front page for you? What 'theme' are you using on the site? What version of windows are you using?

Thanks!

GreyLord

Legend
I can't seem to recreate the issue. Did you try deleting your browser cache?

Yes, multiple times. Also tried deactivating Active X, Pop up blocker, tracking protection and modifying compatibility mode.

How long does it normally take to load the front page for you?

10-20 seconds or less.

What 'theme' are you using on the site?

Reborn

What version of windows are you using?

Windows 7

Definitely seems to be something with either Java or flash in my browser, found another site which uses the same flashing banner (which switches and changes) and that locked up the browser too. Must be some sort of recent update that didn't play nice with the current settings I have. Went to adobe, but didn't see anything there, but that's what it seems. Not just your site, but any site with that sort of banner which has a rotating set of headings and pictures.

Anyways, off of here for now. Thanks for looking into it.

PS: Don't know if it was you or me. I did a total update and reboot, noticed when I came back with IE11 banner no longer shows, site is running awesome at this point, and I am logged in currently on IE11. Thanks

Last edited:

Remove ads