D&D (2024) Epic Boon of Irresistible Offense

I would expect the Campion should be on the higher end of Fighter damage, given that will have less utility and tactical capabilities than most others.
The damage increase compared to Barbarian seems about right. The Barbarian should be using Retaliation regularly, and have the edge in toughness at high levels.

I've been playing around with how far I can push the damage at level 20. So far:

Fighter: 23 Str, +3 weapon, PAM+GWM, Graze+Cleave (25%), GWF fighting style, Irresistible Offense, advantage always on, vs AC 17 or less: 100 DPR on a nat 20 config, or 110 DPR if it can work on any crit.

Barbarian: 25 Str, +3 weapon, PAM+GWM, Cleave (25%), GWF fighting style, Irresistible Offense on nat 20, Rage, Reckless Attack, Frenzy, Retaliation (80%), vs AC 18 or less: 115 DPR

The fighter should be able to get a bit more from opportunity attacks, but that's really hard to model. On the other hand, Retaliation should be pretty reliable.

The fighter most likely shouldn't be getting advantage all the time. If you take that away, it drops to 90 (Nat 20) to 97 (any crit) DPR. Or you could swap Graze to Topple to have a good chance of knocking the enemy prone and getting advantage that way.

The fighter will have better defense, plus regen, while the barbarian has damage resistance from Rage, but low defense due to Reckless Attack. I'd consider this to favor the fighter a bit, though it's hard to say for sure.

If the Champion really is intended as a simple, high-damage option, rather than a low-damage option, then it being roughly competitive with the Berserker is not out of line. It would outdo the barbarian if the barbarian doesn't get to Rage, but that should almost never be an issue by level 20.

Also, without GWM/SS benefiting from Precision Attack, the Battlemaster may not be as overpowered, so it may be more reasonable to not think of Champion as the "weak" subclass option.

Remove ads