Epic Destinies and Earth Giants

Cadfan

First Post
I'm fine with the epic destinies.

They're a good idea, but WOTC has to tread a fine line with them.

Remember how originally prestige classes represented organizations and in game groups, so you could only join a PRC if your DM explicitly set it up so that you could roleplay your entrance into it?

That rule, had it remained enforced, created problems. Players felt they had the right to create the character they wanted, but doing so required the DM to alter the campaign's storyline to fit in elements the player needed for their PRC.

Fortunately, this was never a problem for most campaigns because that rule was happily ignored.

Now, epic destinies seem at risk of creating the same problem. They represent mechanically things that are happening in game. If epic destinies are highly evocative, they'll also run the risk of being too specific to fit into most campaigns.

Imagine that you're a DM, and you have 4 players. One wants to transcend mortality and become a deity. One wants to die, party in valhalla, and rise again as a major player during the final battle of the apocalypse. Another wants to attain immortality of reputation by establishing an earthly dynasty capable of lasting thousands of years. And another wants to achieve lichdom.

Now suddenly you need to write all of those into your game at one time, and STILL have enough time to handle your main plotlines.

That's a bit challenging. And its also why I think the basic epic destinies are going to be a little bit generic. "Wizard who masters the arcane completely, then retreats from the world" isn't very hard to work into a campaign. Its certainly no tougher than "retires to raise grandchildren."

So... I expect we'll see some flashy epic destinies. I just expect the initial layout of epic destinies to be a little bit generic, or at least to contain a certain number of generic options.

All in all, I like them though. Just may be challenging as a DM when I have to juggle the needs of the ascendant deity with the dragonlord.

Knight Otu

First Post
"I'm so powerful, I can meteor shower you twice! Maybe even three times... do you want to take the chances?"

I know it's my 3.X mind talking, but having a PBP character that, along with others, has been on the receiving end of a few tons of delayed blast fireballs... that sounds underwhelming.

Leaving out a power/leaving in a reference to a cut power? Horrible.

The Strength of the Earth Titan really is far too low compared to the hill giant. So it's much closer to Elemental Earth, much bigger, and... a lil' bit stronger?!

The text makes it clear that the two aren't the only kinds of Earth Giants walking about. Presumably stone giants and mountain giants (mountain titans?) are among them some fashion. Goliaths, too? I'm wondering if desert giants like sun and sand Giants belong there, among fire giants, or their own group?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'm in agreement about the fluff/crunch disconnect in the Archmage. The Arcane Spirit meets it, but I'm not seeing how recall of a Daily spell at 21st level or the shift of a Daily spell to an Encounter spell at 30th level constitutes "bending the laws of the universe." I guess Daily spells only being cast once is a Universal Law - what an odd Universe that it should care about things like that.

Neither of these previews did much for me.

AllisterH

First Post
Dragonblade said:
True. So instead of having giants do damage of 2d10 + 5 with STR 21 (or whatever it was), they do 2d6 +10 and have STR 30. Your avg. damage output is similar enough that it works without being broken, but now you have a giant with a more believeable STR score.

I think Voss is right though...At the Epic tier, a fighter barehanded should be able to slap around a hill giant SANS magic. This is Beowulf, Heracles territory and they certainly could do it and that's what high Paragon/Epic tier is modelling.

Putting Giant stats at a STR of 30 and above means that's impossible.

Andur

First Post
Methinks Derren is begining to fail his Will saves... ;)

Random points:

Nobody is forcing anyone to go into Epic Levels, DM can make a campaign for any single tier, or combination of tiers. I know some folks will shudder at the thought, but I can see many a "low magic, low fantasy" campaign only doing Heroic tier advancement.

Epic Destinies: I don't think the DMG will be able to make a "single" epic destiny quest which will cover all the PC needs. It's one of those sounds good in theory, but sucks in application concepts...

Giants: I am hoping that Hill Giant and Earth Titan are not the only two "types" of Earth Giant. Though a sub-type like Earth can be Brute heavy and maybe Controller devoid, they should still have artillery, lurker, skirmisher, soldier, etc. NPC roles filled out. Turning them into one trick ponies and then specifically stating that they "don't play well with others" is both self defeating and lame. "Oh earth giants, slow them, range attack them, and throw up a "protection from boulders" barrier..."

Exerpts: Small sampling of a larger piece of work, often incomplete...

Carry on...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Cadfan said:
Now suddenly you need to write all of those into your game at one time, and STILL have enough time to handle your main plotlines.

That's a bit challenging.

For me, this is the mojo for my Improv Engine.

One wants to die and go to Valhalla?
One wants to be a lich?
One wants to sire a lineage?

Save the princess that will become your bride from a necromancer (whom you can then steal the secrets of) requiring the heroic sacrifice of yourself in combat (so that you are assured a seat in Valhalla).

Everyone Wins, and I have a new villain, a new princess/kingdom, and a new "heroic sacrifice" mechanic to work out. I'm a happy DM! :)

AllisterH

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
I'm in agreement about the fluff/crunch disconnect in the Archmage. The Arcane Spirit meets it, but I'm not seeing how recall of a Daily spell at 21st level or the shift of a Daily spell to an Encounter spell at 30th level constitutes "bending the laws of the universe." I guess Daily spells only being cast once is a Universal Law - what an odd Universe that it should care about things like that.

Neither of these previews did much for me.

Actually, I loved the 30th level ability...One of the things I hated about 3.5 EPIC was that it many of the effects/spells were just "bigger" versions/numbers of a lower level spell. Basically a case of bigger numbers

Here though...Can you imagine what it would look like to a non-30th level wizard when he sees an Archmage simply cast Meteor Swarm every 5 minutes without fail. The non-Epic wizard can only do this a few times per day but the Epic Archmage could literally do this for infinitity....

The stdents at the Archmage's school are going to be stunned and should be in awe.

Derren

Hero
Kamikaze Midget said:
For me, this is the mojo for my Improv Engine.

One wants to die and go to Valhalla?
One wants to be a lich?
One wants to sire a lineage?

Save the princess that will become your bride from a necromancer (whom you can then steal the secrets of) requiring the heroic sacrifice of yourself in combat (so that you are assured a seat in Valhalla).

Everyone Wins, and I have a new villain, a new princess/kingdom, and a new "heroic sacrifice" mechanic to work out. I'm a happy DM! :)

Wow, you must do a epic quest in order to marry and have children...
The population of your worlds must be very low.

DylanCB

First Post
I'm not understanding the complaints about Epic Destinies. Im not sure how an ability that says once per day, when you die, turn into a cloud of wizardness is boring. Casting multiple daily spells is not boring, considering what kind of power a wizard of that level has. Turning a high level daily into an encounter power seems powerful and fun.

Fluffwise, its what I'd expect of an Archmage, retreating into the aether to do interesting things. The excerpt specifically said that Archmages are not limited to that anyway. This seems great if you want your own destiny.

I get not liking ending the game, but thats not exactly hard to circumvent. Once you playing past 30, you can make up whatever yo want. Finding monsters would be hard, though.

Remove ads