• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic rogue paths

Shadowbane

First Post
The title states it quite simply. I have a 20th level rogue.(This is the stealthy, theiving type.) For his next level I'm considering one of three paths: contuinue as a rogue, shadowdancer, or perfect wight (epic) What are your thoughts? Or rather, what path would you take if you were in this situation?

Last edited:

Enamel_32

First Post
I would, personally, take perfect wight. It's an epic prestige class, so it'll work best for epic characters, and it seems to the sneakiest of your three choices. Besides, the shadowdander, depending on what special abilities you chose as a rogue, gives abilities that will overlap with that of the rogue (evasion, at the least).

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Shadowbane2 said:
Two part question:

1)What do you mean by the sneak attack meaning less and less?

Well, I would think he means that every physical opponent worth its salt is going to be somehow immune to sneak attacks and critical hits, either by dint of templates or heavy fortification armor or full concealment.

That isn't completely true, but the number of half-plant ooze elementals in heavy fortification armor* seems to rise as levels climb. This, of course, is made a bit easier by the spells like Gravestrike in Complete Adventurer, but it's still annoying.

As is, my rogue was in epic levels when Miniatures Handbook came out and I beheld the glory of the Skullclan Hunter, but wept as I'd just levelled and couldn't put the needed points into K (Religion) for another couple of RL months.

* - That's our group's term for whatever my rogue attacked. "Nope, it's a half-plant ooze elemental in heavy fortification armor."

2)What is sneak attack of opportunity?

It's an epic feat for rogues, where, if you have it, each and every attack of opportunity is treated like a sneak attack. It is quite nice.

Rogues do get decent epic feats.

Brad

Shadowbane2

First Post
The only thing about epic prestiege classes that seem kind of crummy is that they all just give you abilities that can only use a few times a day. If the perfect wight had an ability like, "turn incorporeal at will" it might be interesting.

Also, how's the shadowdancer as a PrC?

Remove ads