• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic spell - Clone Circuit

Corbert

Explorer
Ever need to be in two places at once? Well, now a high level mage can get nearly that effect with this spell. Unfortunately, I suck at figuring out how an epic spell is researched, so any feedback is appreaciated.

Clone Circuit (Alteration, Evocation)
Level Epic
Range: touch
Components: V, S, M, XP.
Duration: instantaneous
Casting time: 1 hour
Area of effect: one clone
Saving throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell resistance: yes

This spell is designed to be cast on a clone created by the Clone spell. It creates a link between the original and the clone body so that the original recipient can move his consciousness between the bodies at will. The clone body still has one less Constitution point than the original, but is not an individual and has no desire to destroy the original. The recipient of the Clone Circuit spell can have one clone in the circuit for every 10 full caster levels.

Only one body can be controlled at a time, uninhabited bodies simply stay in the last position they were in when last inhabited, except for when the recipient goes to sleep. Then all bodies relax completely, and if left in an awkward position, such as standing, they fall, probably waking the recipient.

The recipient does have some slight feedback from uninhabited bodies, just enough that if someone enters a room where an uninhabited body is left, the recipient will be aware of it (it's kind of like reading a book while the TV plays in the background). Likewise, if an uninhabited body suffers damage, the recipient is instantly aware of it.

If the body being inhabited is killed, then the recipient is "bounced" into another body (at random if there are more than one). No shock occurs, no spells are lost, as the spell acts as a buffer for the recipient.

If the recipient of the Clone Circuit is unwilling, then a successful Will saving throw will prevent the link from forming.

The material components are: a link of chain made of solid mithril- one for the original body, one for each clone already in the link, and one for the clone to be added; a piece of flesh from the original, and a piece of flesh from each clone; and a single double yoked egg (or an egg from a Hydra or similar multi-headed creature). The XP cost is 100 XP for each clone.

Only one clone can be added into a link with each casting.

Jack Simth

First Post
In many ways, it's Contingent True Ressurection on steroids, with extra utility; make 10 clones (10,000, assuming no epic Ignore Material Components feat), circut them with 1,000 xp (the cost of a single Gate Calling) then scatter them in fairly safe locations around the universe (permanencied Prismatic Spheres in Genesis created demiplanes which you then (once inside) coat completely with a Forbiddence), and... you can't die. Ever.

Corbert

Explorer
Jack Simth said:
In many ways, it's Contingent True Ressurection on steroids, with extra utility; make 10 clones (10,000, assuming no epic Ignore Material Components feat), circut them with 1,000 xp (the cost of a single Gate Calling) then scatter them in fairly safe locations around the universe (permanencied Prismatic Spheres in Genesis created demiplanes which you then (once inside) coat completely with a Forbiddence), and... you can't die. Ever.

Thanks for bringing that up, I should probably state the spell doesn't work across planar boundaries.

Edit: by the way, the only way to get 10 clones is to be 100th level.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Here's my take on it, with the layout and all changed to that of an epic spell... because of the nature of epic spell development (i.e. the costs) I made a subtle change in the components and casting time.

Corbert said:
Clone Circuit
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 100
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting time: 100 days
Range: Touch
Target: One clone
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell resistance: Yes
To Develop: 900,000 gp; 18 days; 36,000 xp. Seed: Contact (DC 23), compel (DC 19). Factor: Compel unreasonable course of action (+10). Permanent (x5). Change duration to instantaneous (ad hoc x2). Mitigating factor: Burn 10000 xp (-100). Increase casting time by ten minutes (-20). Increase casting time to 100 days (-200). Expensive material components (ad hoc -100).

This spell is designed to be cast on a clone created by the Clone spell. It creates a link between the original and the clone body so that the original recipient can move his consciousness between the bodies at will. The clone body still has one less Constitution point than the original, but is not an individual and has no desire to destroy the original. The recipient of the Clone Circuit spell can have one clone in the circuit for every 10 full caster levels.

Only one body can be controlled at a time, uninhabited bodies simply stay in the last position they were in when last inhabited, except for when the recipient goes to sleep. Then all bodies relax completely, and if left in an awkward position, such as standing, they fall, probably waking the recipient.

The recipient does have some slight feedback from uninhabited bodies, just enough that if someone enters a room where an uninhabited body is left, the recipient will be aware of it (it's kind of like reading a book while the TV plays in the background). Likewise, if an uninhabited body suffers damage, the recipient is instantly aware of it.

If the body being inhabited is killed, then the recipient is "bounced" into another body (at random if there are more than one). No shock occurs, no spells are lost, as the spell acts as a buffer for the recipient.

The clone receives a Will saving throw (which is the same as yours with no spells, items or other buffs) to prevent the link from forming. The save DC is 20 + your primary spellcasting ability score modifier.

The material components are: a link of chain made of solid mithril- one for the original body, one for each clone already in the link, and one for the clone to be added; a piece of flesh from the original, and a piece of flesh from each clone; and a single double yoked egg (or an egg from a Hydra or similar multi-headed creature). The mithral links, along with the many exotic incenses and unguents required, cost 250,000 gp. The XP cost is 100 XP.

Only one clone can be added into a link with each casting.

I like this a lot. Yoink.

Corbert

Explorer
Jester, thanks for the development :) . I like the casting time especially, it keeps it from being a cast every day type spell. Players that use this would be just as likely to protect a clone body sent out adventuring as they would their original body.

the Jester

Legend
Note that you'd have to be at least 37th level to develop this- otherwise it would burn more than one level's worth of xp.

Still a hell of an epic spell imho! :D This is just the kind of thing that epic spells should be all about if ya ask me!

Corbert

Explorer
I had a wicked idea, a multi-piece magic item (maybe a set of amulets?) built around the Clone Circuit spell that allows all clones to be inhabited at once. What effects do you think that would have on the mage?

paradox42

First Post
My campaign actually features an Epic prestige class called the Legion (for evil psionic creatures, sort of designed around the Mind Seed power) that's similar to what I think you're going for. The creature with this class basically can use a touch attack to embed a part of its soul in a target creature, and then in the future can use this "soul seed" to take over the victim's mind using telepathic powers at any distance. At 5th level, the class grants an ability called "All-In-One" which matches your Clone Circuit item- the Legion actually activates all of its soul seeds at once to literally inhabit multiple bodies. I'll copy the mechanics I made up for this below.

My Crazy House Rules said:
Instead of multiple bodies with the same personality, the All-In-One is actually a single mind which happens to be using multiple bodies- so while it can still take only one action requiring significant mental work in a given round (for instance, casting a spell or using a psionic power), each body can act independently, so the Legion can take as many physical actions as there are bodies. The bodies may assist each other with actions requiring skill checks as long as those actions are physical, but not with mental or social actions such as checking Knowledge or making Diplomacy rolls. Since the bodies share a single mind, those that speak all say the same words and do so simultaneously. If the Legion takes an action requiring mental work, or a non-physical skill check, then the character selects one body to perform the action, and whatever effect the action has originates from that body's location. Thus, the character can manifest a psionic power from any body in the All-In-One while it lasts, and any body can activate and use class features such as embedding new Soul Seeds in new targets.

All the bodies in the All-In-One act on the same initiative count in any given round, so any observer who can see more than one of them can make a DC 15 Sense Motive check to realize that they are linked somehow. While this has little direct effect in most situations, it is usually very disturbing to those who see it, and the Legion can take advantage of this to gain a bonus to Intimidate checks. This is an exception to the rule that the bodies cannot assist each other with social skill checks- if a creature sees ten or twenty people all saying the same intimidating thing at precisely the same time, it is a great deal more unnerving than seeing just one person say exactly the same words. Therefore, when a Legion makes Intimidate checks during an All-In-One, any bodies which are present at the site of the Intimidation attempt can assist whichever body is making the primary check.

That may be a bit more disturbing than what you were going for, but maybe it can work for you?

Corbert

Explorer
Actually thats pretty close to what I had in mind :) .

The bodies may assist each other with actions requiring skill checks as long as those actions are physical, but not with mental or social actions such as checking Knowledge or making Diplomacy rolls.

It seems to me that 2 or more bodies that are flanking an enemy might get a greater than +2 bonus because you are getting a 360 degree view of the target.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads