Level Up (A5E) Error with an Arcanist wizard feature

xiphumor

Legend
From the Arcanist archetype:

Flash of Insight
You can use a bonus action to roll a d20, record the result, and choose a creature you can see within 30 feet. The next time that creature makes an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, it takes that d20 result instead of rolling. If you use this feature again before finishing a short rest, you must sacrifice a spell slot of 1st-level or higher to do so.
I recognize what this is supposed to act like the Elf gift Prescient Vision, but because it doesn’t say that you or the creature chooses whether or not to use the roll, it seems as though all you’re doing is rolling for the creature. What if you target the enemy and roll a 20? What if you target a friend and roll a 1?

Compare Prescient Vision:

Glance the Future.
Your eyes can see a few moments into the future, and your mind apprehends the divergent possibilities. Once between rests you can use a bonus action to roll a d20 and record the result. Before the end of your next short or long rest, when a creature you can see within 60 feet makes an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you can use your reaction to replace their roll with your recorded result. When the creature is also rolling an expertise die, only the d20 roll is replaced. When the creature is rolling more than one d20, such as when it has advantage or when a halfling is using their Lucky trait, the replacement applies to the creature’s final roll. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s not an error. It’s a slightly different nuance.

The idea is you know what the next roll will be in advance and so you can plan accordingly. If you know your next roll is going to be a 1, you don’t use your big once per rest ability for it or spend a ton of exertion. If you know the monster is about to crit, you have time to fetch the healer into place or maybe switch the berserker in to take the blow.

Last edited:

VenerableBede

Adventurer
"You can use a bonus action to roll a d20, record the result, and choose a creature you can see within 30 feet."

The ordering of that sentence reads to me that you use your BA, roll a d20, and then choose a target creature, which suggests to me that you would (under most circumstances) give the roll to your allies if its good or to your enemies if its bad. There's nothing in the sentence that actually requires you to pick a target before you see your roll.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
"You can use a bonus action to roll a d20, record the result, and choose a creature you can see within 30 feet."

The ordering of that sentence reads to me that you use your BA, roll a d20, and then choose a target creature, which suggests to me that you would (under most circumstances) give the roll to your allies if its good or to your enemies if its bad. There's nothing in the sentence that actually requires you to pick a target before you see your roll.
That too!

Remove ads