• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Escape from Sembia

FireLance

Legend
baberg said:
If they did have all first level encounters that the PCs would normally live through, nobody would have known the new death rules and people would walk away with "Wow, 4e is a cakewalk... I don't think they balanced the encounters correctly."
There is a middle ground, you know: start with a 1st level encounter, then scale up from there. :)

arscott

First Post
Rechan said:
It was intentionally scaled up:

Level 1, then level 3, then level 4, then level 5.

The purpose was to demonstrate threat levels, to demonstrate the Death and Dying rules, and to show that PCs can die.
Just looking through my copy of the adventure (I'm going to run it at Gamex in a few days), and I can say it's not that bad. The most difficult encounter is 4th level (175 xp per person)

And that's with 5 players. If you've got six (and I imagine that most of the official D&D previews were pretty full), then it's only 146ish--3rd level territory.

baberg

First Post
FireLance said:
There is a middle ground, you know: start with a 1st level encounter, then scale up from there. :)
Your implications that there are shades of gray between black and white frighten and confuse me.

Remove ads