D&D 5E Essential science guide for artificer

Phion

Explorer
Not quite. A tachyon is a theoretical particle that travels faster than light. Travelling faster than light implies the possibility of time travel, and thus the violation of causality. It isn't that the tachyon is there before the light to see it by - it is that it can be present before it even arrives.

Thanks good sir the explanation, really need to read up on stuff more.

Phion

Explorer
The thing to remember about the Artificer is that every spell requires a foci to cast, even the ones without a M component. Acceptable foci are Thieves' Tools, any Artisan's Tools, or any item you've Imbued. It's a very physically grounded form of spellcasting. So always start by asking, "What foci am I using to cast this spell?"

Are you an Artillerist using a rod Imbued with Enhanced Arcane Focus? Then you're waving your magic rod to cast a spell, not too different from a Wizard. Is your Artillerist using Woodcarver's Tools to cast a spell? Then perhaps you're reaching into your collection of purpose-made mini-wands, like a handyman with a dozen screwdrivers. Are you an Alchemist using Alchemist's Supplies? Then your signature might be quick mix potions; combine a little of Reagent A with a little of Reagent B, shake well, and throw for instant Fireball.

Things get a bit weirder if you're using Smith's or Tinker's Tools. That moves us into the realm of "Deploying a single-use device or construct to generate the spell effect." You quickly clip together a Spider-Man type web-shooter to spray out Web. Your ritual casting of Detect Magic or Identify is assembling spectacles with special lenses. You cast Levitate by securing a temporary liftstone to an object.

The class offers you a choice. You can use an Imbued weapon or wand as a focus and cast spells like most casters do, or you can really dig into what tools you carry around and how you use those to produce your prepared spells. It's a matter of player preference.

Oh yeah, I am using a blow torch currently (through glass blowing tool) as my cure wounds currently

Phion

Explorer
It's funny how fast you get to stop worrying about being the party healer when your focus is a big hammer. Call it a hidden benefit.

Its great honestly, I have given the tabaxi rogue a returning dagger....which she used to throw at a rabbit being cooked over a fire during a surprise attack so it would return to her and started eating it. It was pretty ingenius to be fair.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That's pretty cool. I do like the great mass of flavor available just through picking foci for the Artificer. It makes no real difference to game play, but it feels a lot different, which is just as cool.

The hammer thing is awesome though. "Oh, you broke your hand? I can fix that! Here, spread your hand out on this rock and wait right there while I get my gigantic hammer.... wait, where are you going?"

Phion

Explorer
The hammer thing is awesome though. "Oh, you broke your hand? I can fix that! Here, spread your hand out on this rock and wait right there while I get my gigantic hammer.... wait, where are you going?"

"If not for yourself, do it for science!!!"

Ashrym

Legend
That's pretty cool. I do like the great mass of flavor available just through picking foci for the Artificer. It makes no real difference to game play, but it feels a lot different, which is just as cool.

I think I found a pic of your character.

1575412624072.png

Phion

Explorer
Heres my contribution, for spells such as levitation/fly that encourage user to float upwards I have explained it to the party that my boots+gauntlets have activated magnets and the weave has been manipulated to cause the air to repel my items upwards through transmutation and changing the properties within my characters sphere of influence.

Unwise

Adventurer
My "scientists" use the basic elemental understanding of science.

When it comes to biology stuff, they think a dwarf has more earth element in them, that is why they are dour, hardy and slow. The elf has more air in their makeup, so is flighty, swift and aloof. So when he gives a healing potion, it is generally made up of elements in the right mix for the species in question. His haste potion will be diluted elemental fire and wind, with just enough earth and water to stop it killing the imbiber.

I make regular references to the "science" of astrology. He can't prepare a stoneskin potion today, because the moon is in decline. Of course, I mean that is just basic science, everybody knows that.

Explosions are made by forcing two elements that don't want to be together into the same form. So making fire act like earthen dust (sulfa, charcoal), then adding more fire to it (fuse) turns it back into fire rapidly, making the explosion. Saltpetre is made from earth that has been soaked in water and it hates it, it wants to expel the water, hence it can be made volatile.

My alchemist kept collecting the blood and urine of the party at every opportunity. He said it was important to gather their essential salts and distil their blood into making good healing potions. He smelt terrible.

Scientists see magic flow like electricity through runes. Think of a rune as simply a circuit board that makes the magic flow as required. Dispelling magic is just an EMP device.

I stay away from real physics and chemistry. The DM should not have to know any of that stuff. Don't try to McGyver stuff with real world knowledge. It can be fun playing up science from earlier times. My characters would use leeches, drink mercury for good health and smoke tabacco to "keep the lungs clear".

P.S. One thing I found super fun was to pretend that my spells did not have the intended effect at all. I would say "Stand back! I will scorch them all them with NAPALM!" Then I cast the Grease spell, not Fireball. "Dammit! That was Petroleum Jelly, not Jellied Petroleum! I'm going to kill that apprentice!"

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases