Evocation [see text]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell, the first in Westenberger the Jovial’s series of “High Energy Protons” spells, compresses a tiny mote of elemental (acid, cold, fire, electric, or sonic) energy of the caster’s choice from the surrounding atmosphere. The “protons” orbit the target in a manner not unlike that of an Ioun Stone. When the target makes a successful melee attack, the proton brushes by the creature hit in melee, dealing 1 point of energy damage appropriate to that of the proton.

Protons dissipate at the end of the spell’s duration. They are also destroyed if the character takes 1 or more points of damage of the energy type opposite to that of the proton. (sonic negates sonic). This spell has the descriptor of the energy type of the proton created, so, for example, the spell is a sonic spell when it is used to a make a sonic proton.
Focus: A small rod, tipped with a prism.

I think it is ok, well balanced etc... Whaddaja all'yall thinks?

Last edited:

wolfpunk

First Post
I don't have a problem with the spell, but I have to ask, a 500 gp spell focus? You are not intending for a low level character to use this spell? If not, why not make it a higher level spell and give it a better damage capability.

I would think that a cantrip version of this would be one that did one point of damage, but to require a 500 gp spell focus for each type of descriptor types seems a bit costly for a cantrip. How about as a 0 level spell it requires a small prism. The whole splitting of light into different colors symbolizing the different descriptors possible.

Just a thought.

gamecat

Explorer
I see your point on the focus... The thing is, this spell can be horrendously abused: (persistant spell, ring of wizardry IV...ack!)

wolfpunk

First Post
If the spell can be horrendously abused the answer is usually not a very expensive spell focus, but instead an up in level or something of that type. Making it expensive just makes it useful later. By the time a character could afford five different 500 gp spell focuses for a cantrip, they are going to be using fireballs, and lightning bolts and who knows what else.

Perhaps a 100 gp prism that is destroyed when the spell is enacted or something of that sort.

I suppose it depends on the campaign type you run. Also decide why you are creating the spell, there in might lie the solution to the problem.

gamecat

Explorer
uhhh... I kinda wrote the spell just cos' I like Ioun Stones and the song "High Energy Protons" by Juno Reactor. D&D is a sort of drunken free-association for me... And my character is based off of myself...

LightPhoenix

First Post
I don't find it particularly abusive at all. It might be a tad powerful for a 0-level spell, but I think it would make a weak 1st-level spell.

For one, this only affects melee attacks - there are plenty of ranged attacks which will completely bypass this spell.

Second, one point of damage is not a whole lot, especially as you get higher in levels. In fact, I would say by fifth level play this spell would be near completely useless. It might help against low-level hordes though.

Thirdly, it's dependant on a sucessful melee attack - a Wiz/Sor isn't going to last too long if they keep getting hit, even if it's by goblins and kobolds. I'd rather avoid being hit than get hit and do one point of damage.

As I think about it, this is definitely a 0th level spell. It's much too weak to be a 1st level spell.

LightPhoenix

Tylias

First Post
I like this cantrip :) It's cute, interesting, and has that, "ooh, magic!" flavor.

Got a few questions, tho:
Do multiple castings stack? Can you, for example, have many many protons of same or different colors orbiting you? I can see a mage making a wand of this for big confrontations and stacking lots of protons around himself. One or five protons is no big deal. Ten or twenty would be a serious deterrent. On the other hand, they're still spending money or XP to make wands.

The hit points thing is a good point; it's not too abusable, since mages don't last long in melee. But what about a spellsword, or a fighter with one or two levels in mage or sorceror? It could stack up well for them.

I'm not saying that this is unbalanced; certainly, those multiclassers can get excellent mileage out of a number of 1st level spells. They're just questions.

gamecat

Explorer
Yes, multiple protons stack. Westenberger the Jovial is something of a Sword Mage (prestige class coming to a message board near you!) and uses this kinda mojo with flair.

drowdude

First Post
I like it.

I really dont think using it with the Persistent Spell feat would be abusive at all really. Hell, I would call that a waste of a 4th level spell slot personally ;)

Remove ads