Ever been tempted to forbid something for a silly reason?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Yeah, my big ones are Monks and Gnomes.

Never could get on board with monks they always rubbed me the wrong way.

And Gnomes... Well, we had a tag-along Gnomish Cleric of the trickster God who took is Vocation to heart. Ended up with a deck of many things and royally messed with the party. Quested to hunt him down after he fled so we could mount his tiny head on a pike.

So yeah. No more Gnomes for me.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Things banned for a silly reason? Well...define silly, because silly to you (or any other sane objective observer) might not be at all silly to me. :)

In my last campaign I banned Monks for a bunch of reasons one being that I just didn't like them. They made their way back in later, once I'd redesigned the class from top to bottom.

In this campaign I ditched psyonics as a PC option, but iconics like demons and mind flayers still have them and - pleasant side effect - become more fearsome as a result.

I also almost got rid of Gnomes completely because I don't like them, but instead just made them very rare - you can't choose them as a PC race but you can try rolling on a chart to get one if you feel lucky, with the risk being you're stuck with whatever you roll.

The one thing I have a soft-ban on for purely personal (or perhaps silly) reasons is role-play that gets into game-world economics much further than simple treasury division, magic acquirement, and wealth spending (castles, projects, spell research, etc.). I don't care if your PC thinks she could make a few thousand g.p. buying ale here where it's cheap and selling it there where there isn't any - I'm just not going to DM it. Nor am I at all interested in DMing the results of a character starting a bank, other than figuring out what collateral damage is done by the meteorite that lands on it. Why? I despise economics in real life (99.9% of it is BS solely designed to make the rich richer) and don't want to see it in my unreal life any more than absolutely necessary. :)

Lanefan

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Wow 3 pages in and no mention of Kender......amazing!

Oh, and the Khorne happens with our group too, except that we add in songs from the band Korn

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
And another one, this time with me as the player and someone else as the DM.

Eating ham or bacon are banned at the table. Why? Because the group agrees they get unhealthy amounts of pork just listening to me when I'm in-character.

Jhaelen

First Post
I also almost got rid of Gnomes completely because I don't like them, but instead just made them very rare - you can't choose them as a PC race
Yep, I also banned gnomes and halflings as PC races in my 3e campaign (basically, I didn't want to bother with the weapon-size rules). Although, I suspect none of my players would have wanted to play one, anyway...

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Wow 3 pages in and no mention of Kender......amazing!

You must have missed me mentioning kender while talking about gnomes on the first page then.

Yep, I also banned gnomes and halflings as PC races in my 3e campaign (basically, I didn't want to bother with the weapon-size rules). Although, I suspect none of my players would have wanted to play one, anyway...

I watched someone talking about Sting in Hobbit/LotR and he suggested that hobbits might want a human sized weapon for the reach advantage. There are some cases where that would work and others where it wouldn't.

Remove ads