• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evernote

Scribble

First Post
Hey all- I just stumbled upon a new piece of software that is pretty cool, and I think will be pretty useful to my gaming life...

It's basically... Well a note keeper. Like a digital binder. You can upload notes you type in, save web pages to it, save sound files, and pictures... It even has built in OCR for the picture apparently.

You also setup as many "notebooks" as you want to organize everything... For instance I have a notebook called "Gaming" that I can attach various things related to my gaming hobby... Like if I want to remember to flesh out a cave the PCs found last week, I can use my phone to make an audio clip, or a note, and it gets stored in my gaming notebook. I can also like attach a picture I find somewhere that I thing is cool, or pretty much anything.

There are also apps for pretty much all of the smart phones, and you can use it through text messaging an stuff too.

Anyway just thought it might be useful for other gamers out there! :D

Scribble

First Post
Linky? Costs?

Sounds pretty cool. I might have to get into that.

Link is: Evernote

Cost is either free for 40megs of space or 5 bucks a month for 500megs (plus some other neat features.)

You can also choose to pay 45 a year instead of 5 a month.

I'm on the free account right now, just to see how much I use it... But I get the feeling this might be one of those things I want to use a lot. I thin it's at least worth checking out the free account. :)

Edit: The 40 megs is a monthly upload allowance. You're allowed I guess to store as much as you want... you can only upload it in 40 megs per month chuncks, or 500 megs per month chuncks with the premium account.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I don't use Evernote for my gaming -- except to jot down ideas -- but I will chime in here to point out that Evernote is also accessible as an app for at least some smart-phones. (I have it on my Pre, and I'd be shocked if it weren't available for the iPhone and Android.) Since the notes are synced to a server, you end up with the content accessible pretty much anywhere, which is nice.

(Off the subject, BTW, I just put the entire d20srd.org SRD -- the best 3.5 SRD out there, IMO -- on my Pre, and it's fantastic. Fully hyper-linked, well-formatted D&D goodness in the palm of my hand. I had a much simpler SRD on my PalmOS phone, too, but it's like night and day.)

Enforcer

Explorer
I use Evernote as a general life organizer, with the free level, and have found it to be pretty damn cool. Basically any random bit of data that I might want to remember later goes in there, to be remembered forever (hence the Elephant icon). The tagging and iPhone app are both pretty great.

I have used it for D&D session notes, as well as cut and pasting items from the D&D Insider Encounter Builder into Evernote, and used it at the gaming table. Pen and paper are still a must for me (I have a Moleskine dedicated to gaming), but Evernote has definitely improved my DM organization.

And it's free! I can't imagine using it so much that I'd need the premium account, but your experience may vary.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
I'll add to the Evernote love by saying that it's immensely handy as a general life organizer. I love being able to jot down ideas on the go with my iPhone. For gaming, it's good, but the one additional feature I would love is the ability to create hyperlinks from one note to another.

bySwarm

First Post
Another Evernote fan

I'm another Evernote fan. Not only can I take notes from multiple computers and have them all sync seemlessly, I can take voice notes from my iPhone when a great idea hits me on the road.

plibin

First Post
Hey guys,

I'm the CEO of Evernote and, though it's been about 20 years since I last rolled a d20 in anger, I've often thought about how it'd be a great tool for DMs. Thanks for using Evernote! (And thanks to Google alerts for finding this thread.) I'll talk about you when we record our next podcast.

Carry on,

- Phil Libin

Scribble

First Post
Hey guys,

I'm the CEO of Evernote and, though it's been about 20 years since I last rolled a d20 in anger, I've often thought about how it'd be a great tool for DMs. Thanks for using Evernote! (And thanks to Google alerts for finding this thread.) I'll talk about you when we record our next podcast.

Carry on,

- Phil Libin

Hah! How crazy is that? :)

Well it seems like an awesome product. There have been a ton of times when I've been at the game, and needed to take a note... put it in my gameing notebook... and then forgotten about it until the next game. I think the ability to access the info anywhere I am on multiple devices will be very transformative... For my non game life as well! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads