D&D 5E Examples of adventuring challenges you can spare a few minutes to do but not a few hours?

Stormonu

Legend
To me, what that statement would be talking about would be:

• Items that modify saves or resistances (ring of fire resistance, ring of protection)
  • Non-charged items that grant non-cantrip spells (ring of invisibility, ring of the ram, ring of regeneration)
  • Items that replicate skills (Cloak of Elvinkind, Boots of Jumping)
  • Items that modify ability scores (Gauntlets of Ogre Power)

Granted, I haven't gone over the magic item list very much (to be frank, I've actually given out exceedingly few magic items in my 5E games until recently), but these would be the sort of things I'd keep my eyes out on.

Would it be better to look at the items themselves?
In process. Basically, I want to figure out exactly what they actually did with the rules for attunement before I start changing them (whether in general or for a particular item). So this topic is just one of several I‘m examining, but it stands out as rather odd.

To me, what that statement would be talking about would be:

• Items that modify saves or resistances (ring of fire resistance, ring of protection)
  • Non-charged items that grant non-cantrip spells (ring of invisibility, ring of the ram, ring of regeneration)
  • Items that replicate skills (Cloak of Elvinkind, Boots of Jumping)
  • Items that modify ability scores (Gauntlets of Ogre Power)

Granted, I haven't gone over the magic item list very much (to be frank, I've actually given out exceedingly few magic items in my 5E games until recently), but these would be the sort of things I'd keep my eyes out on.

How do you derive those points?

I ask, because most of those actually are hidden rules I’ve extracted from my analysis of the items in the DMG.

Resistance/immunity or Advantage on saves always requires attunement, with the odd exception of the periapt of proof against poison.

Items that allow you to cast (or produce the effect of) non-cantrip, non-ritual spells at-will always require attunement.

Items that modify ability scores always require attunement.

Skills are tricky. For some skills you can get bonuses or Advantage without attunement, but for others it is less consistent. There seems to be a trend to require attunement for things that grant skill bonuses for Perception or Stealth, but there are exceptions to both of those. Swimming (and even getting a swim speed and/or water breathing) doesn’t require attunement, but climbing for some reason you just can’t have without attunement (other than the non-equipable rope of climbing). Jumping is undecided, because the items that help you jump either follow another rule (like producing an at-will spells) or are bundled with another uncommon effect that is hard to analyze.

So I’m quite interested to hear what elements of those particular features make them fit that particular criterion. Since you may be thinking the same as the designers about it, you’re already ahead of me on it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm working on something that I don't want to get into details on yet to as to keep the thread focused, but I realized that I really need to analyze this particular issue. What sorts of situations are there that come up in adventuring where a party can easily spare a few minutes to devote to better or more safely accomplishing the task (or even accomplishing it at all), but can't afford to devote a few hours for the same purpose? The time frame is intended to exclude the Combat Pillar, and also exclude anything that you can take all day on.

Thanks for any thoughts or examples!
Things like these?

Things like these?

Yes, that sort of thing. I've got some things like that on my own "Interesting Encounters" tables, though not as well developed.

In thinking about the sorts of mid-time frame exploration challenges that would matter for attunement passing, I think I've focused in a bit more today. For attunement to actually prevent the party passing the item around, these things all need to be true:
1. It needs to be something that you can't wait to address--it has to matter now (even though it is longer than combat rounds)
2. It needs to be something where you can address the challenge one character at a time
3. It needs to be something where the challenge actually matters

An example of one that I can think of is an unstable/collapsing area where you need to climb out of it. You aren't in combat rounds, but you can't take all day to do this. Without attunement, you could pass around those gloves of swimming and climbing or belt of giant strength to let each character have the bonus to their Strength (Athletics) checks to climb out of it, which is exactly the sort of thing this is designed to prevent.

But many of the sorts of hazards you'll come across are either ones you can take your time on (ie, if you need to climb that cliff and it isn't collapsing), or ones where everyone has to address it at once (a blizzard or tornado, or other situation where it hits the whole area at once). And if the challenge/hazard/danger isn't really meaningful, then making it easy for the party to overcome it isn't overpowered. In any of those cases, attunement doesn't seem like it should be present, based on the stated criterion.

So I guess the inquiry could turn to whether or not there is the assumption of exposure to sufficient exploration hazards that fit #1-#3 to justify considering that factor for the purpose of attunement rules. I've run hundreds of hours of 5e D&D, and I can't think of many situations (none off the top of my head) where there have been time sensitive challenges outside of combat rounds where item attunement restrictions would make any difference. There have been time-sensitive situations in combat (where passing items is impractical and therefore irrelevent for the passing to the whole party criterion), there has been the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan where rests damage the whole party (so you can't deal with things one character at a time, again making that attunement criterion irrelevent), and there have been the standard situations where something will happen in a certain number of days, or you need to get to place A within time period B, etc. Again, off the top of my head I can't think of any situations in hundreds of hours of play where #1-#3 all applied in the same situation.

Can anyone else think of any from their campaigns? And are they frequent enough to be worth taking account of for rules restrictions?

Remove ads