D&D General Examples of games/sports in adventures?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Is anyone aware of examples of published D&D encounters (5e mainly, but any edition or related system is fine) that involve the PCs playing games with at least somewhat complex rules (eg, chess, poker, bowling, etc)? I'm especially interested in seeing how such things are resolve in a couple different types of situations:

1. PCs play a board/card game vs an opponent. (eg, beat a wizard at chess)
2. PCs take on opponent/s in a sporting match of some sort. (eg, take on a bunch of orcs in dodgeball)

Known real world games; historical games with unclear rules; or even invented games are all fine for these purposes. The main thing is that the PCs are expected to actually play (and maybe cheat at!) a game or sport in the context of the adventure.

(I'm less interested in games of chance; or simple carnival games and tournament contests where resolution is pretty easily adjudicated using ability checks.)

Any pointers would help. Thanks!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Is anyone aware of examples of published D&D encounters (5e mainly, but any edition or related system is fine) that involve the PCs playing games with at least somewhat complex rules (eg, chess, poker, bowling, etc)? I'm especially interested in seeing how such things are resolve in a couple different types of situations:

1. PCs play a board/card game vs an opponent. (eg, beat a wizard at chess)
2. PCs take on opponent/s in a sporting match of some sort. (eg, take on a bunch of orcs in dodgeball)

Known real world games; historical games with unclear rules; or even invented games are all fine for these purposes. The main thing is that the PCs are expected to actually play (and maybe cheat at!) a game or sport in the context of the adventure.

(I'm less interested in games of chance; or simple carnival games and tournament contests where resolution is pretty easily adjudicated using ability checks.)

Any pointers would help. Thanks!

In Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, there is an opportunity to play a game called goat-ball against goliaths. It is entirely resolved through skill checks, though.

One of the Tier 1 AL adventures for the Tomb of Annihilation season presents rules for racing dinosaurs (while riding them) in Port Nyanzaru that are more elaborate.

In chapter 1 of Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus, there is the opportunity to play a gambling game called Baldur's Bones. Rules are included. It's a bit like black-jack but with dice.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check those out.

The one I'm aware of off the top of my head is the game of "pelota" from the adventure "Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan" in Tales from the Yawning Portal. Basically, the PCs play by attacking an animated ball. IIRC, scoring depends upon degree of success on the attack roll and that PC's distance from the goal. (I haven't checked the original module to see if/how this game is done in it.)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
In Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden, there is an opportunity to play a game called goat-ball against goliaths. It is entirely resolved through skill checks, though.
The reference to goat-ball reminded me of 3e's Races of Stone, where it was also described. Turns out there were a few other simple sports described in that book, too. Good call, thanks!

And a miss:
I haven't read it, but it sounds like EX2 - Land Beyond the Magic Mirror has a chess board-based encounter. From what I can make out, though, it doesn't have much to do with actual chess, aside from the names of "pieces" (monsters) and how players move on the board.
So... not quite what I was looking for.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
EN5ider published an article on how to run Archery Contests that was including in ENWorld's Advanced Rules Miscellany book.

R_J_K75

Legend
The 2E FR Maztica boxed set had a game that was played in an arena. Players tried to hit a ball through two rings on either sides in the middle of the arena wall using there elbows. Kind of a combination between basketball and soccer, simply called the "Ball Game". There is a series of rules for which govern the game, putting the ball in play, shooting in blocking. Not only is it for entertainment but it is for religious purposes and sometimes used to settle disputes (to the death). I believe the various human cultures of the area have variations of the game. It gets about 3 pages in the boxed set.

And hey what do you know for a mere $1 it can be yours, you really can find anything on the internet.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The 2E FR Maztica boxed set had a game that was played in an arena. Players tried to hit a ball through two rings on either sides in the middle of the arena wall using there elbows. Kind of a combination between basketball and soccer, simply called the "Ball Game".
Interesting. Sounds like that might be built off the "pelota" encounter found in Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, but maybe with more in-depth rules? Thanks for the tip, i'll check that out.

I appreciate the replies so far.... Helpful stuff!

one of the early Dungeon adventures had an adventure revolving around a game called Spottle (or something like that), a dice based game where the players rolled dice and a toad in the middle of the table would randomly eat some of them. There was a cast of odd characters playing along with the PCs, one of whom was a not so nice guy keeping the game going long enough for some hobgoblin slavers to come by...

Remove ads