D&D 5E Exceptional Strength Feat

Ashkelon

First Post
Exceptional Strength
Through divine birth, destiny, fate, being chosen by the gods, or something else your strength far exceeds that of a typical member of your race. You gain the following benefits:

Might: You count as a large sized creature whenever it would be advantageous for you to do so (you can knockdown or grapple huge size creatures, your unencumbered carrying capaicty is doubled, etc). This benefit does not apply to wielding weapons.

Power: At level 8, multiply your unencumbered carrying capacity by 2. At level 12, multiply it by 4 instead of 2. At level 16, multiply it by 8 instead of 4. At level 20 multiply it by 16 instead of 8. This increased carrying capacity is in addition to the doubling from Might.

Athleticism: You gain expertise with Athletics. You may also make a Strength (Athletics) check in place of any Strength ability check or Strength saving throw you would make.

Ashkelon

First Post
Or I could just use the feat to instead bump my Strength score +2, for far greater benefit.

Greater combat benefit? Yes
Greater flavor benefit? No

This feat allows you to play the epic heros from myth and legend that D&D always said you could. You can create a warrior with the strength of 10 men like Lancelot. You can make a character who can wrestle a troll and win like Beowulf. You an make a character who can knock over a marble column like Samson. You can even make a hero with the divine strength of legendary warriors like Hercules.

If your character concept doesn't involve extraordinary feats of strength, don't choose this feat. If your concept does involve superhuman levels of physical might, this feat allows you to create that in a way that simply increasing your strength score does not.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Exceptional Strength
Through divine birth, destiny, fate, being chosen by the gods, or something else your strength far exceeds that of a typical member of your race. You gain the following benefits:

Might: You count as a large sized creature whenever it would be advantageous for you to do so (you can knockdown or grapple huge size creatures, your unencumbered carrying capaicty is doubled, etc). This benefit does not apply to wielding weapons.

Power: At level 8, multiply your unencumbered carrying capacity by 2. At level 12, multiply it by 4 instead of 2. At level 16, multiply it by 8 instead of 4. At level 20 multiply it by 16 instead of 8. This increased carrying capacity is in addition to the doubling from Might.

Athleticism: You gain expertise with Athletics. You may also make a Strength (Athletics) check in place of any Strength ability check or Strength saving throw you would make.

I like it. Though I would not limit it to only large size "when it would be advantageous" for you. Look, if you're big, you're big. That means you're going to have more trouble squeezing through that tight ravine than the halfling.

Or I could just use the feat to instead bump my Strength score +2, for far greater benefit.

But it maxes out at 20.

biotech66

Explorer
Exceptional Strength

I like it, but Athleticism, might not do everything you hoped it would. If you have to make a strength saving throw, you get to add proficiency and strength bonus. When you make an athletics check, you add proficiency and strength bonus. Id sugest you add double proficiency to athletics checks and strength saving throws, or some other number to make it better.

But I like what I see!

Ichneumon

First Post
I'd like to incorporate an aspect like this.

Feat of Strength

After spending 1 minute to physically and mentally prepare, make a Strength-based check with +4 added to the roll. You must complete a short or long rest before using Feat of Strength again.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd like to incorporate an aspect like this.

Feat of Strength

After spending 1 minute to physically and mentally prepare, make a Strength-based check with +4 added to the roll. You must complete a short or long rest before using Feat of Strength again.

Just make it "at advantage" instead of the bonus.

Also, I guess this means the character can end Festivus well?

Ichneumon

First Post
Just make it "at advantage" instead of the bonus.

Also, I guess this means the character can end Festivus well?

Undoubtedly.

I chose a bonus because I wanted the aspect to represent the concept of going beyond normal human limits, like the urban legends of mums lifting cars off their kids. Advantage would work, but it doesn't quite capture what I was after.

Remove ads