Exit 23 Dark•Matter Story Hour (NOW COMPLETE!)

"Exit 23"
V.​

Dr. Akens yelled to Will as he grimly advanced, pumping shotgun shells into the reforming body of the shaggy creature outside. "You're weapons will be lucky to hurt it. We need fire to drive the thing away!" Drawing on his years of research into the paranormal, Phillip was pretty sure he knew what this creature was and how to destroy it.

"Mabel!" he called. The poor woman let out a moan. "Where's your liquor? Y'know, the real hard stuff?" Mabel didn't answer. In fact, she appeared to have fainted behind the counter.

"$#!+!" he exclaimed. He vaulted over the counter, his eyes scanning the shelves for anything useful. A small fridge was tucked under the cash register. Inside... "Bingo! Absolut Molotov cocktails coming right up!"

Outside, Will and Don were keeping the creature somewhat at bay by pumping shotgun shells and rounds from the M-16 into it nearly continuously, but it seemed more amused and slightly irritated rather than seriously threatened by their weapons. Phil ran up to the doorway and threw his hastily assembled Molotov cocktail at the creature. It hit it in the forhead, and the bottle exploded into an alcoholic fireball. The creature shrieked in pain and fear, then snarled in rage, charging at Phil and swatting him hard. He flew through what was left of the glass entryway to skid to a halt at the counter to the coffee shop in the next room.

Meanwhile, Doug had heard Phil's declaration, and quickly filled a five gallon drum with grease from the frier at the MacDonalds. He trundled out just at this moment, to see the creature -- still aflame on it's head and shoulders -- slam Phil away. He heaved the grease at the creature, but it missed, throwing up a storm of hissing steam where it hit the snow. Doug dropped to the ground in the steam, narrowly missing the stabbing ice-sword that would have eviscerated him where he stood.

Don dropped his M-16 and ran out into the fray. He ducked into the gas attendant's shack and flipped the switch that turned on the pumps. Grabbing one at random, he pulled the handle all the way and squirted it at the open flame on the creature's head. The entire creature burst into flame, screaming and writhing. Don's eyebrows singed and he was forced backwards by the heat of the blast. He quickly shut it off when he saw the flame starting to arc towards him on the stream of gasoline.

"What the $!&%* are you doing?" Will shouted flabbergasted. He slammed his hand against the glass holding the fire extinguisher near the pumps and pulled out the device, spraying the flames that were spreading like a ghost along the pavement towards the pumps. Meanwhile Dr. Neary had picked up the M-16 recently dropped by Don and unloaded the rest of his clip into the creature. It was now huddled against the floor, and with this latest attack, it suddenly burst into a cloud of ash, scattering in the wind. All activity stopped and everyone stared silently at the spot where the creature had been. The snow storm did not abate.

Quickly, they moved back inside, checking the NOAA weather map again. No change was apparent. Ned patched up Phillip who sat up drinking a very strong, black coffee.

"We're not out of the woods yet. If I remember my paranormal research correctly, what we just faced was a Winter Demon -- and it's tied to that ball we found. Unless we can destroy that, the demon will reform in a matter of hours -- or less -- and we'll have to start from scratch."

"No sooner said than done," smirked Will, cocking his shotgun one more time and holding the barrell right up against the snow globe. He discharged the gun just as everyone was yelling at him to wait, and the ball flew away from the end of the gun to slam into the wall, gouging out a large chunk of brick and mortar and ricocheting into the counter where it came to rest, apparently completely unharmed.

"Hold on!" shouted Phil. "If you go about this the wrong way, you could kill us all!"

"Sorry!" Will said, looking around sheepishly.

Suddenly they were all bathed with light again. Headlights, to be specific. They heard the rumbling of a revving diesel engine, which abruptly switched into high gear and the lights came hurtling towards them. Someone was driving a full-sized rig right into the restaurant!

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Okay Josh, the old semi-into-the-restaurant trick never occured to us when playing. I love it. It will be interesting to see how they get out of this one.

fenzer said:
Okay Josh, the old semi-into-the-restaurant trick never occured to us when playing. I love it. It will be interesting to see how they get out of this one.

Oh it certainly made for some real fun... :D

And just wait until we get to my character's finest hour :D :D

Last edited:

William Ronald

Explorer
Trevalon,

I am looking forward to more. The event was fun and full of surprises.

Fenzer, let's say that everyone at the table was a little shocked by the semi-trailer mistaking the restaurant for a drive -thru. :D

William Ronald

Explorer
Trevalon Moonleirion said:
But... but... we need to bump this! It needs to be finished! My character's shining moment of glory hasn't happened yet! :)

Not to mention that we have to find out what takeout food that trucker really wanted. ;)

I have to say that some of the things people did during the game surprised me. I generally like surprises.

Sorry, folks! I've been pretty swamped since the holidays, and this will take me a few hours to update, hence -- no updates recently. I'm anticipating a return to more normal scheduling conflicts soon, which means I can squeeze out an update or two in the near future.

ledded

Herder of monkies
Alright, that's about enough time off for you buddy.

You can't just start up a semi and hurl it at a diner full of PC's, then let it drop off.

Update, man, we need that update! :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases