D&D 5E Expanding on Expertise dices

eprieur

Explorer
Probably one of the only direction they are going in the latest packet that I like in next is using more expertise dice system. They probably have to redo the rogue nearly completly but I'm sure they can keep expertise dice and make it work.

What I would like is an expantion on the expertise dice ressource system. This could help balance out rogue vs fighter problems while still having something unique for each class. Here it is, probably heavily based on wow but still.

Right now the dice are all regained at the end of the turn. This could be changed using something like:

-Fighters start the fight with 0 ED (experdice dice). The first time they hit with an attack each turn they gain 1 dice. The first time they take damage from an attack each turn they gain 1 dice. They have a maximum of 2 (maybe 3) dices at the begining of the game. You can even call it rage or fury if you want.

-Rogues start the fight with their maximum ED (2-3 dices at lvl 1) and they gain 1 dice at the start or end of their turn. They can unload at the start of the fight then have to wait a bit before being able to unload again. You can even call it energy or something like that.

This ressource system allow the fighter/rogue to pay for maneuvers. One thing it does is make the ED rarer since you don't always get them back at the end of the turn. This also make managing the ressource a bit more strategic.

There are many examples of power/feat/class feature that could be created to support this (alot of design space) (charge feat that give 1 ED if you start the fight with it, berserker option where you go into a rage by spending a bigger amount of ED (say 3+), options that give back ED to rogue on sneak attack kills, etc. I'll leave it at that for now but I'll add other ideas if this get a discussion going.

Thanks again for reading!

Remove ads