• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Extending Spell Question (3.5e)

nyc-roleplay

First Post
In the case where you have a spell duration that is variable or has a variable component, does that get doubled using Extend Spell Metamagic?

Let's use Cause Fear as an example from the PH:
Duration: 1d4 rounds or 1 round (if the save is made)

Which is the proper ruling?

Ruling 1:
If the creature fails the save then the duration is 1d4 times 2 and if the save is made the duration is 2 rounds.

Ruling 2:
If the creature fails the save then the duration is 1d4 and if the save is made the duration is 2 rounds. The difference with Ruling 1 here is that you cannot double the duration of a variable.

Ruling 3:
You cannot extend this spell because... <insert reason here>

In the case of Stun Ray from the Spell Compendium:
Duration: 1d4+1 Rounds
Description reads that if the save is made the creature is stunned for 1 round.

How would you rule in this scenario? The difference here is that the duration of the stunning when the save is made is in the text and not in the "Duration" descriptor of the spell. Does this make a difference?

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'd use ruling 1. Extend doubles any duration, far as I can tell. Another example you haven't touched on are spells that have two or more separate durations, regardless of save. Let's take holy word. I'd think extend spell would double each of the effect durations, assuming they trigger.

No RAW argument, just my interpretation.

Corsair

First Post
I'd use ruling 1. Extend doubles any duration, far as I can tell. Another example you haven't touched on are spells that have two or more separate durations, regardless of save. Let's take holy word. I'd think extend spell would double each of the effect durations, assuming they trigger.

No RAW argument, just my interpretation.

Corsiar, J., concurring.

nyc-roleplay

First Post
In the case of Holy Word the duration is Instantaneous and Extend Spell specifically says it does not affect spells that have duration of concentration, instantaneous or permanent so I don't think you can extend Holy Word.

Another case is what about spells that have duration of Concentration up to a certain amount of rounds? Based on the Extend Spell description would these spells be excluded because concentration is involved or can you extend the concentration limit?

All very puzzling to me....

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
In the case of Holy Word the duration is Instantaneous and Extend Spell specifically says it does not affect spells that have duration of concentration, instantaneous or permanent so I don't think you can extend Holy Word.

Bad example. I was just trying to recall one from memory without looking.

Another case is what about spells that have duration of Concentration up to a certain amount of rounds? Based on the Extend Spell description would these spells be excluded because concentration is involved or can you extend the concentration limit?

I was never really sure. I think by RAW it has no effect, but I'd allow the feat to double the maximum duration you can concentrate.

Voadam

Legend
In the case where you have a spell duration that is variable or has a variable component, does that get doubled using Extend Spell Metamagic?

Let's use Cause Fear as an example from the PH:
Duration: 1d4 rounds or 1 round (if the save is made)

Which is the proper ruling?

Ruling 1:
If the creature fails the save then the duration is 1d4 times 2 and if the save is made the duration is 2 rounds.

Ruling 2:
If the creature fails the save then the duration is 1d4 and if the save is made the duration is 2 rounds. The difference with Ruling 1 here is that you cannot double the duration of a variable.

Ruling 3:
You cannot extend this spell because... <insert reason here>

In the case of Stun Ray from the Spell Compendium:
Duration: 1d4+1 Rounds
Description reads that if the save is made the creature is stunned for 1 round.

How would you rule in this scenario? The difference here is that the duration of the stunning when the save is made is in the text and not in the "Duration" descriptor of the spell. Does this make a difference?

Extend Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.
To make it last twice as long the effects must last twice as long regardless of whether they make a save or not, whether it is in the duration entry line or hidden in the text.

Voadam

Legend

Extend Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit
An extended spell lasts twice as long as normal. A spell with a duration of concentration, instantaneous, or permanent is not affected by this feat. An extended spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

By the rAW language I would not allow them to be extended. I see nothing wrong with house ruling it to extend the level limit of the concentration limit though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads