• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fabula Ultima: Techno Fantasy and GM's Toolkit Released (+)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
How is the game generally? I’ve got the pdf of the book but haven’t had time to really dig into it.
Good question. This answer comes from a very limited number of sessions, but I sort of think of it as two games.

It is a love letter to JRPGs, and it faithfully creates the experience of that kind of combat. If you like that style of game, you'll feel right at home. Combats are detailed but not really tactical in a sense that you're not moving minis and looking for a flank. It's more classic Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy Tactics. It really gives me the feeling that I'm playing one of those old games on my console.

Outside of combat, it is a very narrative game with players having a lot of impact on the session. It is strongly influenced by Fate (you get Fabula points, the GM gets ... Ultima points), and you can change or create things in play. The influence of Blades in the Dark is also there, as Clocks are the main way you complete projects or accomplish goals. If you're exploring a dungeon, it may have a Clock you're trying to complete to get to the boss at the end.

It has a loose "inventory points" equipment system, where you can find resources for things like potions or trinkets, and you can expect to meet vendors in places.

The character-build system is class-based, but the game enforces multiclassing. You start at level 5 and must take at least two classes. When you initially select a class, you get some bonuses, but mainly, you pick one thing at each level. Maybe that's a spell or some talent. You max out a character with 10 levels in it, and at that point, you get a special ability. Characters advance quickly (one or two levels a session), and you get up to level 60, if I remember correctly.

For abilities outside of combat, it has a robust "ritual" system with rules for mostly free-form magic. Even if you don't play the game, this section is work

Your session has a bad guy, and you will eventually fight them. Bad guys have multiple phases, and the GM uses their Ultima points to save them from defeat so that they can show up later. They can only do that so often, so eventually, you get to defeat them. In practice, you'll recognize this from playing any JRPG.

I really like the game, but I know it will not be for everyone. The Fate/PbtA influence will not be to everyone's liking. What I'd say to that is that most JRPGs have little, if any, mechanics outside of combat or other minigames. You're not making skill checks to do things like you typically do in other RPGs; they just happen. The Fabula Ultima system actually has more depth than the source material that way.

And the game is beautiful. I haven't seen this much evocative artwork in an RPG, well, ever.

Hopefully that answers some questions, but if you'd like something in more detail, just let me know.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads