Failing Forward

How do you feel about Fail Forward mechanics?

• I like Fail Forward

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • I dislike Fail Forward

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • I do not care one way or the other

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I like it but only in certain situations

Votes: 49 31.0%

sheadunne

Explorer
Okay I'm a little confused are we speaking about specific systems or play styles? They are two different, though admittedly connected, things... The original discussion (as well as the railroad discussion) was around play styles but now it seems [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] are discussing specific systems... which really wasn't what was being discussed, and seems to be causing some confusion...

I'm not sure we can discuss this without talking about systems, can we? Or at least reference to systems that either support or refute general play styles? Some systems just don't lend themselves well to particular approaches to gaming. If we want to focus only on Fail-Forward and D&D 3x, that's a pretty big difference than discussing Fail-Forward and FATE. We need examples of play too, which provide context. That's hard to do in a vacuum without a shared understanding of the context of the system.

I think we also need to stop suggesting that the Railroad style is somehow a bad way of playing. I enjoy myself a good AP now and again (especially when I don't want to have to make decisions and just want to kill things and take their stuff! Despite my preferred play style, I still love the tactics of 3x/PF combat), and they're almost entirely railroads. It's just a matter of expectations. I would be a little turned off if someone pulled out rise of the rune lords and started using fail-forward and story-now with it. Talk about a disappointing night of gaming!

Aenghus

Explorer
To me railroading is about constricting player choices. it's a potentially useful technique when used appropriately for the right players. Some RPG titles and campaigns expect certain types of railroading, and it's often expected and even appreciated as a pacing mechanic or way of moving quickly from scene to scene. It becomes objectionable when it takes away player decisions that players turn out to value.

I prefer this definition because exactly the same application of railroading may be liked by some players and disliked by others, depending on their varying goals of play. The interpretation of railroading is a subjective judgement, though I have seen some really terrible railroading that I hope the vast majority of players would identify as such.

I pre-author a lot of my game, though the proportion of improvisation has increased over the years. Nowadays I lack the energy and free time that I used to have. Also I don't worldbuild for fun as much any more, I found it lots of work and lead to too much rigidity in a game, as few players cared about the complexities of my settings.

RPG sessions are delicate things that need cooperation from everyone to stay viable, regardless of the style of game. IMO there are no perfect styles and every style has potential downsides.

Imaro

Legend
I'm not sure we can discuss this without talking about systems, can we? Or at least reference to systems that either support or refute general play styles? Some systems just don't lend themselves well to particular approaches to gaming. If we want to focus only on Fail-Forward and D&D 3x, that's a pretty big difference than discussing Fail-Forward and FATE. We need examples of play too, which provide context. That's hard to do in a vacuum without a shared understanding of the context of the system.

I think we also need to stop suggesting that the Railroad style is somehow a bad way of playing. I enjoy myself a good AP now and again (especially when I don't want to have to make decisions and just want to kill things and take their stuff! Despite my preferred play style, I still love the tactics of 3x/PF combat), and they're almost entirely railroads. It's just a matter of expectations. I would be a little turned off if someone pulled out rise of the rune lords and started using fail-forward and story-now with it. Talk about a disappointing night of gaming!

I'm not seeing why system and playstyle can't be talked about separately... especially since there are systems that don't actively support a specific style... Like you said discussing Fail forward with D&D is different from fail forward with FATE... but those are system differences not playstyle differences.

Also I don't think anyone is attaching a negative connotation to railroading... we just don't agree that it's more prevalent in one style (not system) over another style... and all we're doing now with it is dueling anecdotes (which is why I find these calls for play experiences kinda pointless)

sheadunne

Explorer
I'm not seeing why system and playstyle can't be talked about separately... especially since there are systems that don't actively support a specific style... Like you said discussing Fail forward with D&D is different from fail forward with FATE... but those are system differences not playstyle differences.

Also I don't think anyone is attaching a negative connotation to railroading... we just don't agree that it's more prevalent in one style (not system) over another style... and all we're doing now with it is dueling anecdotes (which is why I find these calls for play experiences kinda pointless)

Maybe, I'm not entire sure it can be divorced that easily, although I agree completely about the dueling anecdotes.

For me though, the play experiences are the most valuable part (show don't tell). When we divorce the play antidotes from the discussion, we're left with examples that tend to move to the extreme sides of the spectrum. It does as well with antidotes, but I find if there are game systems included with them, I can see the play experience more clearly.

I do think that without lots of experience with a play style or system, the discussions aren't very productive. I can site lots of examples from my years playing Danger Patrol, but I'm not sure how many people have played it or even know about it. I've read DITV and BW but haven't played either. I have some short experiences with FATE, Savage Worlds, Dungeon World, but can't speak from a multi-year framework. About the only thing we probably all have in common is that we've played some version of D&D, but even that system differs between editions. So I agree that system can be a deterrent to a discussion of play style, I'm not sure how you go about it without it. Most of the discussion in this thread has steamed from examples provided (some system neutral but I think most people are assuming X system when they talk about it and it's causing confusion, at least for me).

Then there's the terminology issues, such as those using Forge language and those using everyday language. The forge language sounds very condescending, especially if you're not familiar with it. I think many posters here have been very patient with each other, but I'm also starting to see things breaking down. I think that for the most part you, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], among others have done a good job stating your opinions, fairly patiently, but others, probably myself included, have been less able.

On a side note, but going back to the thread subject matter: I can't recall a play experience, where the intent has been no pre-authoring and the system is designed for it, that has railroaded anyone, although I have seen it grind to a halt in a second when the GM freezes (which happens a lot in my experience when either the GM isn't completely comfortable in the style, or the game has proceeded past the GM's point of creativity for the session). This is much less the case in pre-authored styles of play. I'm running an occasional CoC game that I haven't pre-authored anything for, but I still find myself nudging the players in the directions I want them to go, due to the nature of the genre and the system itself. Mysteries are harder for me to run in Improv but I think that's due to the genre and the exceptions of the game. I could be wrong and am just not very good at it. I might feel more successful using another system like Gumshoe, but I'm not overly familiar with it so I stuck with what I grew up on. :)

Okay I'm a little confused are we speaking about specific systems or play styles? They are two different, though admittedly connected, things... The original discussion (as well as the railroad discussion) was around play styles but now it seems [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] are discussing specific systems... which really wasn't what was being discussed, and seems to be causing some confusion...

Below is the evolution of my approach and posting in this conversation. 2 and 4 are relevant to the quoted text above.

1) Bring up a cogent, system-neutral, extremely vanilla example (Bob, his divining rod, and the ascent of mount pudding to find locate said pudding) of the technique of Fail Forward. I did this in order to facilitate precisely the angle of conversation that you're referring to.

Despite my caveats as to the nature and useful limits of this example, several posters invariably attempted to dig deeper or extrapolate more than was there (sometimes assuming load-bearing elements of system) which extended the example beyond its useful limits.

Consequently...

2) I posted multiple TLDR examples (with abridged portions and abridged commentary) of my own games in which usage of Fail Forward is mandated and embedded within the system.

I then broke down the system from which those examples stemmed in order to relate the "whys" and "hows".

Given the extrapolating and digging deeper ithat took place in 1 above, it seemed like folks wanted such things. Unfortunately, those didn't get much traction.

3) As no myth, or abstract/malleable setting/backstory was inevitably being invoked as part and parcel of the deployment of Fail Forward, rejoinders then abounded about the benefits of pre-authorship, heavy prep, and exploratory play that had granular meta-setting at its core.

As the benefits had been thoroughly canvassed, I posted the benefits of no myth, or abstract/malleable setting/backstory. This included my thoughts on the inherent (but not inevitable and certainly not inevitably actualized) temptations (due to emotional/physical investment) that come with heavy-prep or granular meta-setting.

Conversation ensued from there about whether those temptations (and the likelihood of them being actualized) were just as inherent to low-prep, abstract/malleable setting/backstory, therefore rendering them "not a thing" inherent to one approach versus another.

Somewhere in the course of that conversation, I broke down the inherent dangers inherent to low-prep, abstract/malleable setting/backstory.

4) Finally, we get to the contention that GM bias is the core component of the deployment of GM force. There is a deep undercurrent of "system doesn't matter" which pervades the thinking of certain segments of TTRPG culture (especially with players who were bred on AD&D 2e primarily if not exclusively) due to White Wolf's Golden Rule and AD&D's "rule 0". I don't agree with this premise and I think there is some conflation, confusion, or outright lack of understanding of the heavy role that system has to play (eg - "system bias") in this equation generally, but also specifically in games that work to constrain a GM's latitude, focus a GM's agenda, and minimize their overhead.

My next several posts speak to "system bias" vs "GM bias" (which invariably brings me back to specific system agendas, principles, and play procedures as I did in 2 above).

Imaro

Legend
Below is the evolution of my approach and posting in this conversation. 2 and 4 are relevant to the quoted text above.

1) Bring up a cogent, system-neutral, extremely vanilla example (Bob, his divining rod, and the ascent of mount pudding to find locate said pudding) of the technique of Fail Forward. I did this in order to facilitate precisely the angle of conversation that you're referring to.

Despite my caveats as to the nature and useful limits of this example, several posters invariably attempted to dig deeper or extrapolate more than was there (sometimes assuming load-bearing elements of system) which extended the example beyond its useful limits.

Consequently...

2) I posted multiple TLDR examples (with abridged portions and abridged commentary) of my own games in which usage of Fail Forward is mandated and embedded within the system.

I then broke down the system from which those examples stemmed in order to relate the "whys" and "hows".

Given the extrapolating and digging deeper ithat took place in 1 above, it seemed like folks wanted such things. Unfortunately, those didn't get much traction.

3) As no myth, or abstract/malleable setting/backstory was inevitably being invoked as part and parcel of the deployment of Fail Forward, rejoinders then abounded about the benefits of pre-authorship, heavy prep, and exploratory play that had granular meta-setting at its core.

As the benefits had been thoroughly canvassed, I posted the benefits of no myth, or abstract/malleable setting/backstory. This included my thoughts on the inherent (but not inevitable and certainly not inevitably actualized) temptations (due to emotional/physical investment) that come with heavy-prep or granular meta-setting.

Conversation ensued from there about whether those temptations (and the likelihood of them being actualized) were just as inherent to low-prep, abstract/malleable setting/backstory, therefore rendering them "not a thing" inherent to one approach versus another.

Somewhere in the course of that conversation, I broke down the inherent dangers inherent to low-prep, abstract/malleable setting/backstory.

4) Finally, we get to the contention that GM bias is the core component of the deployment of GM force. There is a deep undercurrent of "system doesn't matter" which pervades the thinking of certain segments of TTRPG culture (especially with players who were bred on AD&D 2e primarily if not exclusively) due to White Wolf's Golden Rule and AD&D's "rule 0". I don't agree with this premise and I think there is some conflation, confusion, or outright lack of understanding of the heavy role that system has to play (eg - "system bias") in this equation generally, but also specifically in games that work to constrain a GM's latitude, focus a GM's agenda, and minimize their overhead.

My next several posts speak to "system bias" vs "GM bias" (which invariably brings me back to specific system agendas, principles, and play procedures as I did in 2 above).

Just a quick question... do you believe there is such a thing as a "neutral system" in that it neither hinders nor promotes any one particular playstyle?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Just a quick question... do you believe there is such a thing as a "neutral system" in that it neither hinders nor promotes any one particular playstyle?

Speaking for myself, I would say yes. D&D can be run very well with many different styles of play. It even goes out of its way to suggest a bunch of them.

If there is one out there, I'm not aware of it.

Consider the two most fundamental macro-issues alone:

1) Player incentives or the nature of character progression. Whatever model is chosen informs, if not outright dictates, player behavior.

2) GM latitude/constraint. Wherever this lies on the continuum while permeate all other facets of play.

That isn't even digging down into the other macro issues of genre expectations/coherence and GM agenda/principles nor the myriad micro issues of play procedures (things like PC build, resolution mechanics, content generation, resource scheduling/refresh paradigm). There may be one out there, but having GMed so, so, so many games (including every version of D&D) and read so many more, I'm skeptical.

pemerton

Legend
Okay I'm a little confused are we speaking about specific systems or play styles? They are two different, though admittedly connected, things
I'm not seeing why system and playstyle can't be talked about separately... especially since there are systems that don't actively support a specific style
Certain playstyles are associated with certain systems - as per the first of these two posts.

Given that the self-conscious advocacy for, and implementation of, "fail forward" and related techniques is associated with particular designers (eg Luke Crane, Ron Edwards, Robin Laws, Vincent Baker) and with their games (eg BW, DitV, *World games, etc) then I think actual examples from the play of those games is highly relevant to the discussion of those techniques.

Have you changed the definition of Fail Forward again? Last I heard, it was 1) not allowing failure to stop the PCs dead in their tracks by having other options, and 2) Success with a cost when they roll a failure. Neither of those definitions has anything to do with railroading, and neither of them don't work very well in a pre-authored setting.
I explained what I understand "fail forward" to be, as a technique, in post 156 of this thread. I self-quoted that post not very far upthread.

The terms doesn't come from nowhere. It was introduced by particular RPG designers to describe a particular technique intended to achieve a particular RPGing experience.

Success with a cost is only one way of narrating "fail forward", and even then only if success is understood as meaning success at the task - by definition, if the check fails, the PC must fail to succeed in respect of his/her intent. (A classic example would be - you arrive at the top of Mt Pudding, but the pudding thieves got there first because you were too slow: task success, intent failure. Also a very well known trope from adventure fiction.)

And having other options may have nothing to do with "fail forward" at all. If those other options all exist in the GM's notes (eg as per the so-called "Three Clue" rule), then the existence of those "other options" may not prevent play stopping dead in its tracks, if the players don't think of or discover those other options.

"Fail forward", in the sense of the technique that actually brought that term into the RPG lexicon, is not about "other options". When the PCs in my BW game fail to find the mace by scouring the ruined tower, there are no "other options". Or when they fail to stop the ship they are on sinking, after being tethered to a ghost ship, there are no "other options". But in both cases I used the technique of "fail forward": the upshot of the failure was that the PCs found themselves in a new challenging situation, different from the one they had hoped to be in, in which hard decisions were called for ("You're floating in the waters of the Woolly Bay, clinging to the wreckage of The Albers. How are you going to save yourselves?"; "In what used to be your brothers private workroom, you find a rack of black arrows. Let me tell you what those are for . . .")

pemerton said:
To give a concrete example: it makes a huge difference to me that the absence of the mace from the ruined tower is the result of a failed check by the players, rather than something I stipulated in advance.
You say that, but you really haven't given any real reason for it other than you like it that way, and incorrect perceptions of pre-authorship and sandbox play.

<snip>

There is zero difference between my pre-authoring a dark elf antagonist at the beginning to appear at the water hole, and you authoring it in the moment of the water hole. Both are a dark elf antagonist, and both are pre-authored for every single second after it appears at the water hole. That you didn't know before hand is irrelevant to game play. Game play is going to act on the dark elf being a pre-authored antagonist for both playstyles.

<snip>

I am fully capable, without changing anything, of deciding an angel feather is cursed. Nothing about that pre-authorship keeps that from happening.
This is very strange, in the context of a discussion about techniques and railroading. You say I have "incorrect perceptions" about the nature of pre-authoring, but then say that you don't see any difference between something being the result of a failed check and something just being stipulated as true by the GM.

The significance of the waterhole being narrated as fouled, or the feather being narrated as cursed, because of a failed check, is exactly that: it's a failure. Had the players succeeded on the check, the fiction would have turned out quite differently, namely, as they (and their PCs) wanted it. The GM didn't just stipulate the fiction.

That's the whole point of the scene-framing/"fail forward" style. The GM doesn't just stipulate the fiction; rather, key elements of the fiction unfold as part of the process of adjudicating action resolution, with responsibility distributed between players and GM (depending on success or failure), and with the system being designed to produce some sort of alternation between success vs failure which helps generate the dramatic dynamics of a story (in the strong, literary sense).

Of course the GM might try to introduce that sort of pattern just by way of stipulation. But that's the sort of approach to play, and the use of GM force, that the alternative techniques are intended to avoid.

all we're doing now with it is dueling anecdotes (which is why I find these calls for play experiences kinda pointless)
Just to be clear - there are no anecdotes of scene-framing/"fail forward" play being used to railroad. As far as I can tell, that is pure conjecture by you and [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION].

Whereas I can point to every railroad thread on these forums, plus examples that have been posted in this very thread, where pre-authoring of content by the GM and then using it as a constraint on the framing and outcome of situations in play has led to a railroad-y experience.

And it's not a coincidence that there are no anecdotes of the first sort: you can't run a game in the scene-framing/"fail forward" mode and railroad. The GM simply doesn't have the right sort of control over the fiction. The vice of that sort of game isn't railroading; it's GM paralysis, and/or failures in managing the backstory, and/or boredom because the GM can't frame interesting and engaging scenes. And unsurprisingly, there are anecdotes that bear this out: [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] and (I think) [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] have both mentioned examples of this, and I've pointed to my own BW game, where I think the dark elf and his naga master didn't yield the full pay-off in play that I had been hoping for. I can add another one if you like: A long time ago (1997) I had a campaign come to an end when, in effect, the backstory collapsed under its own weight - even as the GM I couldn't keep track of what had been revealed in play, and couldn't maintain a coherent fiction (either in my head, or in play) that gave rational motivations for all the NPCs and factions and the like who had become active in the game after 8 years of play.

One of the reasons for this outcome is that, as GM, I wan't careful enough in linking scenes framed to player (and thereby PC) motivations, so there was too great a density of extraneous backstory, and too much of the burden of enthusiasm for it was falling on me as GM rather than on the players. In the three big campaigns that I have run since (another Rolemaster game, my 4e game, and now my BW game), an important consideration for me arising out of that experience has been to keep the backstory under control, in part by being sharper in my focus.

In this thread I think I've already cited Eero Tuovinen more than once. Here, again, is his comment on the challenges of GMing a non-exploration-focused, scene-framing/"fail forward"-style game:

The player’s task in these games is simple advocacy, which is not difficult once you have a firm character. . . . The GM might have more difficulty, as he [sic] needs to be able to reference the backstory, determine complications to introduce into the game, and figure out consequences. Much of the rules systems in these games address these challenges​

Instead of speculating about railroading, with (as far as I can see) no actual evidence, I think it would make for more fruitful discussion to focus on the actual things that can go wrong in GMing this sort of game. For instance, what are the techniques that a GM can use to integrate the dramatic storylines of 4 or 5 PCs into a coherent, on-going game? (FATE tries to tackle this through its PC-generation process, just as one example.)

Seriously? You're claiming that that there are no bad DMs out there that railroad in those systems? Somehow only other systems have those sorts of DMs?

How would it work? Well, it doesn't have to happen on every check, so player successes are irrelevant. If the DM inserts his desires into failed checks to drive the game down paths he wants them down, railroading has occurred. If you seriously can't see that railroading can happen in those systems, then you're too blind to continue having this conversation with.

<snip>

Pre-authored content doesn't constrain the DM any more than a PC being an elf constrains him. Such light "constraint" is irrelevant and meaningless. It's still easier to railroad with your system. Unless the players can't fail rolls anyway. If they can, the DM can push them wherever he wants, however he wants with nothing and no one to say otherwise

<snip>

Or are you saying that DM forcing his idea on the player and moving towards that goal at every opportunity isn't railroading?

<snip>

The possibility or the fact? My example wasn't of a possibility, it was of a fact that the DM pre-authored and forced to happen.

<snip>

Then you guys are for pre-authorship, because that's what you are doing when you do that.

<snip>

The DM knows. That's the point. He knew from the beginning before any actions were declared and resolved and then deliberately forced the resolution to that goal. That's railroading.
Have you ever played Dogs in the Vineyard? Any of the "Powered by Apocalypse World" games? HeroWars/Quest? Burning Wheel? FATE? Marvel Heroic RP? Even 13th Age?

Your posts in this thread are making me think that the answer to my question is "no". And that you are not very familiar with the dynamics of those systems.

If a player writes on his PC sheet, in one of those games, "My brother is my hero", then the player is asking - in fact, telling - the GM to frame a scene in which that conviction is put under pressure. That's the point of those games; that's how they generate story (in the strong, literary/dramatic sense of hat term).

This is not the GM forcing his/her idea on the player - quite the opposite! It is the player forcing his/her idea (namely, that the heroism of the PC's brother is an important topic of the story) onto the GM. Furthermore, there is no railroad - there is no destination in which things end up. A question isn't the same thing as an answer. Finding black arrows in one's brother's workroom raises, in one's mind, the possibility that he was an evil enchanter even before he was possessed by a balrog; but it doesn't settle that question.

Not only do I get the sense that you have no familiarity with these RPGs, or with the sort of playstyle that they are designed for, I also think that this is colouring the way you think about pre-authoring. By pre-authoring I don't mean coming up with ideas. I mean establishing truths in the shared fiction, which are then used by the GM to adjudicate outcomes in play. For instance, deciding that the mace is not in the tower before the players roll the dice is an instance of pre-authoring (whether the decision is made a year, a week or a minute before). Thinking about what to do with the mace if the players fail the check, though, isn't pre-authoring in this sense (though it may be a type of GM prep, especially if done other then while playing at the table) - that doesn't determine the content of any fiction, or determine the outcomes of play. It doesn't pre-empt any dice rolls.

When you say that pre-authored material is no constraint, I don't know what you mean. If the GM is rewriting it on the fly, or inventing new material to counter-act the pre-authored material (eg s/he has pre-authored that, at such-and-such a place and time Oswald will shoot at Kennedy, but then only fly writes in an angel who blocks the bullet once it becomes clear that the PCs have botched the job of protecting the President), then it's still pre-authoring (ie establishing the fictional circumstances independent of action resolution), just pre-authoring on a shorter timeline.

Also, your equation of established elements of the shared fiction with pre-authored fiction is very strange to me. Elements of the shared fiction that are established in play aren't authored prior to, and as a constraint on, action resolution. They are outcomes of it! And when they are then used to help in the framing of subsequent scenes and subsequent action declarations, they are known quantities whose impact on the situation is determined before player resources are committed and the dice are rolled. This is not analogous to the GM deciding unilaterally that the mace is not in the tower, and hence that no matter how well the players roll on their Scavenging check they won't find the mace.

Because we don't have any actual play examples of railroading using scene-framing and "fail forward" techniques, and also because - at least in your case - I get the sense that you have basically no familiarity with those techniques in your own RPGing, I'm having a lot of trouble envisaging your conception of how it would work. You seem to be envisaging that whatever the player has written on his/her PC sheet about his/her PC's convictions and concerns, and whatever action declaration the player has declared for his/her PC, the GM - on a failure - narrates "You find yourself at the Misty Lake with your brother's hat at the top of the brothel stairs." I guess it's conceivable that a GM somewhere might run that game, but as I responded to [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] the problem with that game isn't railroading - no outcome has been determined or player action declaration thwarted. The problem with that game is that it's silly, boring and hence pointless.

Speaking for myself, I would say yes. D&D can be run very well with many different styles of play. It even goes out of its way to suggest a bunch of them.
Which version of D&D?

To me, this answer suggests that you haven't tried to run a non-exploratory, scene-framed/"fail forward"-style game (perhaps at all, certainly not using most versions of D&D). AD&D and 3E will actively push back against this. 4e generally facilitates it, but has a few well-known problem areas (eg the interface between the very abstract, non-granular skill challenge system and the combat system, which is very granular when it comes to space and time while at the same time being quite abstract in other respects, such as damage and healing). By default, 5e's emphasis on the "adventuring day" as a unit of balance and its seeming use of objective DC seems to be less friendly to it than 4e.

Just to give one instance: how, in D&D, do you handle a player making a roll to see if his/her PC can meet up with an NPC that the character knows from his/her past associates (ie an NPC whom the PC has not actually met or engaged with in actual play at the table)? The default is that the GM decides whether or not such an NPC exists, and then either sets a DC reflecting further aspects of the fiction or just makes a roll (perhaps a % check).

How does that "run very well" for a scene-framed/"fail forward"-style game? I don't think it does.

You can work around it, eg by allowing Streetwise to be used as an analogue to BW Circles or MHRP's resource rules. But that doesn't tell us much about the "neutrality" of D&D. It just shows that you can graft bits of other systems onto D&D. By the same token, I could introduce encumbrance rules into BW if I wanted, using the D&D rules as a model. But that doesn't count as evidence that BW is well-suited to exploration-oriented dungeon crawling. (Which is why Luke Crane wrote Torchbearer.)

Just because the PCs can go in any direction, does not mean that exploration and discovery rule out over story, or story is lacking. I run a sandbox. Story is huge.

Funny. I run sandbox games and story is reliably generated all the time. People claiming otherwise just can't run a proper sandbox game and/or don't have players that are up to playing in a sandbox game.
I've never been GMed by Luke Crane or Vincent Baker, but I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt! I think they can run games pretty competently, and are playing with pretty high-quality players

I think that [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] is correct, and that you are using "story" to mean something a bit different from the sense in which these designers want their RPGs to produce story.

pemerton

Legend
There is a deep undercurrent of "system doesn't matter" which pervades the thinking of certain segments of TTRPG culture (especially with players who were bred on AD&D 2e primarily if not exclusively) due to White Wolf's Golden Rule and AD&D's "rule 0". I don't agree with this premise and I think there is some conflation, confusion, or outright lack of understanding of the heavy role that system has to play (eg - "system bias") in this equation generally
Agreed.

I'm not sure that I agree with your psychological hypothesis as to why pre-authorship can lead to railroading, but I think there is a very clear system reason: the GM is supposed to be using that pre-authored stuff (NPC motivations, metaplot, etc) to constrain the framing of scenes and the success of action declarations. That's what it's for. And multiple posters upthread have said that it's important that sometimes the PCs are thwarted by obstacles they didn't anticipate, because that's what makes the gameworld "realistic" and not just "all about them".

What I often find a bit weird in these discussions, though, is how games with Schroedinger's hit points and Schroedinger's gorge are conjectured at one and the same time to have some flaws or weakness resulting from that (eg a lack of a "living, breathing" world) but in all other respects play out exactly the same (eg in the way that GM force in determining backstory won't work any differently, and so railroading is just as likely). So that these games aren't really different, and the use of the alternative techniques has no helpful consequences; they're just slightly inferior versions of what we would otherwise be doing if we knew how to run sandboxes properly!

Remove ads