• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Falling?

Corey

First Post
My character used Alter Self to grow wings. When attacked I stopped trying to fly and allowed myself to free fall. At the time we could find no rules dealing with how far a character would fall per round.

Since then I have found a passing reference on DMG pg. 69 under minimum forward speed- fall 150ft the first round, 300ft the second round.

Is there a more specific reference in the core books?

Thanks in advance,
Corey

Alchemist

First Post
Your distance fallen, assuming earth conditions, is 1/2g*t^2, with g being the gravitational constant (9.81m/(s^2)) and t being the time fallen (in seconds).

So a 6 second round nets you 176.58 metres. After the second round, you'll have travelled a total of 706.32 metres. This is assuming no air resistance and that you haven't reached terminal velocity before the end of the second round. My physics books aren't handy, so I can't give mathematically perfect answers. Besides, I can't even estimate your air resistance. :)

In a nutshell, you'll fall very far very fast. As a rough estimate though, I'd give you a solid 100 metres of travel in a round.

Edited to change "falling velocity" to "distance fallen" Duh.

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
There is no more specific reference in the core rules. The rule on DMG p. 69 is for damaged fliers (trying to maintain height but unable), not a true free-fall situation.

The rule I prefer is a simple 500 ft. the first round, 1,000 ft. each succeeding round. (From Bud Selig's book "Skydiving").

Dungeon magazine #93 (July/August 2002), p. 79 specifies a free-fall speed of 670 ft. the first round, and 1,150 ft. each succeeding round.

Remove ads