• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Familiars?

samursus said:
How about a Familiar as a feat... grants some sort of minor bonus (skill) and all allows a new Familiar centered Encounter power??? (or an at-will?)

Two problems:

1) New party member.
2) Squishy. (Probably.)

At least there's nothing about it costing XP when it dies.

Gloombunny

First Post
I'm not sad to see familiars delayed. Hopefully they'll work out a way to make them right.

Familiars are supposed to help you with spellcasting, not just keep an eye out for ambushes. :/

Family

First Post
Here's a thought, since the books have all gone gold, & they have other books coming out, they'd need play testers for those books.

Now we have a list of their trusted play testers released...add a phone directory and Google maps, and you have a treasure map...no? ;)

JetstreamGW

Explorer
WotC_Logan said:
I do.

But "we" probably doesn't include me in this instance.

Is there anything at all that you can share? Even what likely book they'll be out in?

Arcane power seems likely, but if you want to do both familiars and animal companions doing it in phb2 might make more sense.

Byronic

First Post
There's a very easy house rule for familiars. They cost nothing, and do nothing useful.
Like making a portrait of you're character they're there because you like them :p

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Er...people:

It's not against the law to handwave familiars back in to the game, using basic rules ideas from any earlier edition. Ditto for animal companions, if such things float yer boat. Ditto for henchmen (or cohorts) and hirelings.

It's also not against the law to have one player controlling more than one creature...or character...in the game, even if 4e design seems to imply otherwise.

So if you want familiars, go for it. :)

Lanefan

VannATLC

First Post
AS long as you build them, taking into account the level of utility they add, as well as then catering for them in extra XP loads.

Personally, I'd be happy to see them enshrined as a type of static skill bonus with Encounter Power, and then grant the ability to 'possess' them as a minor action, and that gives you control over their standard and move actions, while you sit blankly.

Remove ads