Famous people who play D&D.

RBB

First Post
Famous people who play

Paul Dini, my favorite writer from Batman: the Animated Series (and lots of other animated shows), used to write for the D&D cartoon. So I would be surprised if he hadn't played.

OK, I'm surprised.

reanjr

First Post
Jeff Wilder said:
I know Bill Gates plays low-limit hold'em. (I've been at a table with him. Not a very good player.) I've never heard of him playing RPGs, though. But, I mean, he is the uber-nerd. Would anybody be surprised to learn that he has played, at the very least?

From what I hear, Bill Gates is extraordinarily competitive at everything. It doesn't seem to me that a cooperative, literally pointless game would be his thing.

Jupp

Explorer
Francois M. Froideval who wrote the absolutely brilliant "Black Moon Chronicles" comics series. IIRC EGG did have a game in Froidevals campaign at one time.

NewJeffCT

First Post
hero4hire said:
I dunno..I am sure I'd have to kill someone's character....

I think Robin Williams would be the best DM of the group with his ability to do voices: every major NPC would be memorable. And, he seems pretty nimble-minded... so, he could just take it in stride when his players did something unexpected (not that that ever happens...) and he would just adapt.

NewJeffCT

First Post
KaosDevice said:
From what I remember from a brief email exchange with George RR Martin (what a really nice guy btw.) he and his gang of misfits played ye olde Superworld back in the day.

I've heard that, too. I'm dying waiting for the next book in the Song of Fire & Ice series.

I feel sorry about what Amazon has done to him, though, by continually posting a release date for his book when neither Martin, nor his publisher, has announced a release date.

diaglo

Adventurer
punkorange said:
d&d specifically may not have been in the ET movie, but they ARE playing a role playing game at the first of the movie.

they are playing Tunnels & Trolls in the movie.

although, the actors played D&D when not on camera.

get the 20th anniversary DVD for more info.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
ThirdWizard said:
Sitting at a table with Robin Williams, Matt Groenig, Craig McCracken, Bruce Campbell, and with Joss Whedon and Steven Spielberg co-DMing would allow me to die happy. :lol:

I wonder if Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi played in the same group? Seems likely.

Belen

Adventurer
Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson SG-1, husband to Lexa Doig)

Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Mal Reynolds) He actually played Gurps at Dragon Con last year.
Nicholas Brenden (Buffy)
Emma Caufield (Buffy)
Alyson Hannigan (Buffy)
Alexis Denisof (Angel)

Aesmael

Explorer
As far as authors go, I reinforce the mentions of Feist and GRRM. Apparently Feist played in Midkemia, he did not run it. And Martin's first attempt at running the Superworld game was a bust because all the other players were authors and picked the plot to quickly (so he says at the beginning of the reissued Wild Cards 1).

To add to the list of authors, I am told from this forum that Erikson plays GURPS. The Three Seas setting for R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series grew out of an old D&D game he run (not sure if it was 2nd or 1st ed). Currently on the Three Seas forum there is a section concerned with devising/converting a role playing system to allow play in it. Not sure how they are going because I did not ask for in on it and that section of the site is for the rpg group only. (Yes, Bakker was part of the discussion of this, although he was approached by the fans)

Alastair Reynolds at the very least knows of the game even if he does not play, judging by the fairly direct reference to it in the novella Diamond Dogs, in which the characters confront a truly nasty dungeon that I would love to base one of my own on.

But are any of these people actually cool? Or even qualifying as famous in the eyes of your brother? I believe I have not helped.

kenobi65

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Mal Reynolds) He actually played Gurps at Dragon Con last year

My friends Jae and Cynthia were playing a GURPS Firefly game at GenCon SoCal in December, and Nathan sat in with them for a while (playing River!)

Here he is:

Attachments

• nathansocal.GIF
    nathansocal.GIF
    231.7 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:

Remove ads