D&D 5E Fantasy Appalachia

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I've been reading Paul Bunyan (the Wadsworth version) to my boys recently, and he's actually from Maine.
I know the Appalachian Trail runs into Maine, but it's not usually considered part of Appalachia from a cultural/historical perspective.

If you're just doing a "non-coastal America" pastiche though, he's fine. The version we're reading has several unusual monsters:
The Agropelter (hides in trees, throws a club to kill people)
Gumberoo (round, very hard skin, carnivorous, always hungry - but extremely vulnerable to fire)
Whirling Whimpus

SACRILEGE! Paul Bunyon is Minnesotan. Now, there are some weak claims about him being from Wisconsin or Michigan, and he may have spent some time in the Dakota's. I can humor such mistakes with a polite smile. But Maine? Nonsense!

You have me snorting at such a claim with the power of Babe the Blue Ox in full rage.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
On another thread, it got me thinking. an Appalachia game could have serious potential. The Hat Fields and the Mccoys, giants (that might be where Paul Bunyan originally came from), witches, and trickster anthropomorphic rabbits in a keep on the borderlands environment could have serious potential. then you add the cultural mixing of the north, south, African mythology, and Cherokee and other tribes and whammo, a seriously unique environment. However, feel seriously underqualified in this environment so throwing it out there to see where it leads.
Check out the maps at this seller, they might be fitting for your campaign.

ccs

41st lv DM
My advice: Don't let anything in your campaign world be recognizable as a homage to something specific in the real world. You can use real world lore for inspiration, but always mix it heavily with something else to make sure it is distinct and does not end up being criticized for insensitivity. You may still get it, but you can say you are intentionally distancing it, at least.

Well, that rules out playing D&D.

Remove ads