D&D 5E Fantasy Appalachia

As a Western Canadian, I am learning a lot from this thread! My takeaway is that Appalachia is far larger and more complicated than I had thought, and would probably be a cool inspiration for a D&D setting.
I thought so too, but realized writing beyond compiling data on it runs into the same problem as writing for kara-tur and I already made that mistake.

However, I have done similar studies for gamifying western canada if you are interested in discussing it either in private or on another thread.

Oofta

Legend
A while back my wife and I were going to an old friends wedding in Massachusetts. This was in Worcester and we had no idea how to pronounce the name. I had always thought it was something along the lines of war-chest-er, but there's no "CH" so I figured that wasn't right.

We had stopped for lunch and, not wanting to offend our hosts when we got there, we decided that we would ask the gal behind the counter. When we asked her how she pronounced the name of the place we were in, she gave us an odd look and said "Bur-ger King".

Besides the fact that in my universe, the narrator of such a product would be Jim Cornette, he goes into this odd speech about the Woolyworm.

I honestly have never heard of such a thing, but so putting it in. :D
You accidentally gave me a hilarious idea to try: Corny, as a bard + The Brothers Grimm movie where they're con artists who fake monsters to 'save' villages from... until they do find a real monster. I'm not as deep in wrasslin' as Cornette and some are, but I love hearing him talk about the 'old days' of kayfabe and the lore and psychology of wrestling

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
A while back my wife and I were going to an old friends wedding in Massachusetts. This was in Worcester and we had no idea how to pronounce the name. I had always thought it was something along the lines of war-chest-er, but there's no "CH" so I figured that wasn't right.

We had stopped for lunch and, not wanting to offend our hosts when we got there, we decided that we would ask the gal behind the counter. When we asked her how she pronounced the name of the place we were in, she gave us an odd look and said "Bur-ger King".

Lies.

I heard that joke years ago about Kissimmee, FL.

(And it's Wuh-stah, if you're from there. Wuh-ster, if you're not.)

Tutara

Adventurer
Ive been veery curious about Old Gods of Appalachia
Me too. I love the idea of occult Americana. Unfortunately I am torn by the fact that I love the Cypher system but feel it is a rotten choice for this particular subject, the (in my opinion) weakness of Cook's ability to adapt his work to other uses (for reference, the 5E Numenera conversion which I was not a fan of, despite loving the setting) and the fact that I started to listen to the podcast and found it not to my taste. The lore, as I have read it, seems compelling and creepy, but the delivery did not work for me.

All the right ingredients, in theory, but for some reason the combination leaves me cold. I would love to have my snap decision be proven wrong, though.

Remove ads