Faster than light travel or "jumping"

D-rock

First Post
bolen said:
A cool topic (let a physicist highjack it)

If you want my personal opinion wormholes do exist but only at the Plank level (about 10^-34 meters) as part of spacetime foam. But wormholes of this size aren’t a lot of use for spaceships
(end highjack)

I'm curious, does this mean that if you could expand it(which could be impossible), and you sent one end of the wormhole in a ship that was going at relativistic speeds that you could create a crude time machine when you jumped from one end of the wormhole where time is dilated to the other part of the wormhole that is at "normal time".

D-rock

First Post
Warlord Ralts said:
Don't let hard science stand in the way of having fun with it. I don't see anyone quoting the laws of energy conservation regarding a spellcaster in D&D...

Don't worry I wouldn't let science get in the way of fun, but it is kind of cool if you can come up with some quasi-real explanation for why things occur.

D-rock

First Post
bolen said:
- It has no testable predictions
-
I work in Loop quantum gravity in this we do not try to unite the forces we just try to understand how to create a quantum theory of gravity. In some ways it is less ambitious then strings but I think we are on more solid mathematical ground.

By the way if I had posted the above on a physics board the moderators would have closed the thread. I am not being very diplomatic (but neither are the string people)

I can sort of see where you are coming from. It migh be possible that at the sizes they theorize "strings" might be, that there will never be any real testable predictions, or observable events.

The thing with the mathamatics of string theory is that many people think that too much of it comes together too well for it to be totaly wrong. (At least from what I hear) I could sort of see the problem with just mathimatical theory, it migh encourage people to come up with something and then try to make the evidence fit insteed of the other way around. That could lead to some problems. It could also be why they had so many theorys of how it worked. Then again they have no testable predictions, so I guess you have to start somewhere.

Who knows maybe in a few decades you or the string people might have the last laugh. Debate while preferably diplomatic would seem to help more than no debate at all. I would be interested in seeing who is right someday to.

bolen

First Post
tomBitonti said:
Hi,

Slight hijack.

(IMHO), I don't think that you can use quantum tunnelling effects to move
information/energy/mass faster than the speed of light, at least as far as
is currently known. Using that for faster than light travel is still magic.

You are correct. you may not use entangled states and pass information faster then light.

As far as we can tell the universe obeys the "galactic" speed limit that c is constant. wormholes do not violate this as they just cause space to be connected in non-trivial ways

Last edited:

Remove ads