• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fate Points

Endur

First Post
I'm not a big fan of constant raise deads/reincarnates/resurrections, etc.

However, I don't want major PCs to die all the time either. It takes a while to go up in level from 1st level.

I'm thinking about using a "Fate" point system(or Karma).

Basically, it would work like this:
1) PCs would get a fate point when they go up in level or when they complete a legendary quest (one or the other, not both).
2) Boss Monsters and Legendary Creatures would also have fate points.
3) 1st level PCs wouldn't have any Fate points.
4) A fate point can be used to re-roll one die roll (similar to the Luck Domain power). It can affect any die roll made by the PC or an opponent.
5) Fate points can't be spent against opponents that also have Fate points.

So, if you are fighting flunky orc #7, you can use a fate point to reroll that critical hit from a great axe.

However, if Boss Black Orc (who has 1 fate point) rolls a critical hit with his great axe, there won't be any re-rolls.

Thoughts?

gpetruc

First Post
well, as described they seem a little weak.
Maybe you could have something similar to force points in SWd20:
instead of a simple reroll, reroll with a number of bonus/penalty d6 that depends on the level.
(for example 1 dice/4 levels)
That would give you a better chance (a plain reroll isn't that much)

You could also have Charisma affect this (as a bonus to the roll?)

Angcuru

First Post
sounds good, but rather than not be able to use fate points against another character WITH fate points, you could just say that the big boss orc would have to cough up a fate point to let the crit get past anyway, negating the char's use of the fate point.

RandomNPC

First Post
D20 mod has a system where you get like power points or something, I don't exactly remember, but you gained them with levels and they allowed you to add a d6/point spent to any roll. So you could use them to finish a battle with one final devastating blow or to avoid the finger of death.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads