Favorite AD&D and/or B/X Module Covers

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This topic came up in a different thread, so I thought I'd start a different thread. For once, this won't be my typical long post. Instead, it's an invitation.

What are your favorite module covers from the early TSR era?

Rules: List your top 5 (in order to keep it manageable). Explain each pick. I'd say to keep it to 1986 and before, but exercise your judgment. Certainly keep it to TSR-era module covers. Thanks!

Here are mine. They are not in order, but I'd go with these-

UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave
021814_1116_reviewofadd1.jpg

Yeah, no feet and almost no hands. I know ... the artist is hiding some issues. But still, this cover always drew me in to something more magical.

I3 Pharaoh
I3_Pharaoh.jpg

This was my original avatar. Simple and magical.

I6 Ravenloft.
images

There's a vampire.

S3 Barrier Peaks.
s-l640.jpg

A cover that provided most parties for more questions than answers.

WG4 The Forgotten Temple of ---------
tumblr_odm0b1Mwur1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg

Everything, from the pale and sickly purple, to the disquieting evilness of the ersatz Georgia O'Keeffe, combined to make the experience of looking at this module the same as playing it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Here is my list, also in no particular order.

f6f8e-tomb.jpg

It's got a lich on the cover about to extinguish two adventurers. What's not to love?

pharaoh-fc-1982.jpg

I've always loved old Egypt, so these modules really appealed to me. I love the ghostly Pharaoh and the pyramid.

lost-tomb-of-martek-fc-1983.jpg

A purple worm smashing up through a glass sea to attack a land ship?! The art is amazing.

S4_Lost_Caverns_of_Tsojcanth.jpg

This is one of my favorite modules of all time, and the cover is one of my favorites. A behir launching lightning at the party while grappling a PC(or hapless henchman) is goodness.

wg5.jpg

Mordenkainen is my favorite D&D wizard hands down. Seeing him on an awesome cover casting a spell with one hand and using a wand with the other is pure gold. Love this art.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I have a real soft spot for these two:

Great covers, and excellent deep cuts!

That said, and I warn you ... I am going to put something in the spoilers tag because once you see it, you can't unsee it.

The giant metal man ... on DA3 ... on the right.

Squint at it for a while.

Some more.

Wait for it.

images

Is it Twiki's older brother? I'm not saying it is ... but I'm also not saying it's not.

Remove ads