• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite D&D Campaign Setting?

Kinak

First Post
I started DMing during the setting boom of 2nd Edition, so I still really like a lot of those settings. Planescape, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and Birthright are ones I really dug, with Planescape, Dark Sun, and Birthright getting actual play. Of those, I enjoyed playing in Planescape most, but still harbor secret hopes of running a Spelljammer-inspired game.

Since then, I've run Eberron (although not with D&D rules) and a lot of Golarion. I don't foresee running anything but Golarion for the next couple years, honestly, but I'd still snap at the chance to run Planescape, Spelljammer, or Birthright.

Cheers!
Kinak

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Forgotten Realms.

We've been playing it since the OGB - and I even had FR in earlier homebrews based on things Ed wrote in Dragon - and now we're enjoying the 4E version (yeah, I know it's heresy to be able to enjoy all of the versions of FR [rolleyes smiley]).

One of the main reasons we really enjoy it is that we stay away from the novels and any sort of Mary Sue NPC. My next campaign begins explicitly with the sentence Elminster is dead. The PCs are front and centre, simple as that.

Orius

Legend
Planescape. It's the only setting I bothered collecting any amount of material for, though I never couldfigure out how to ge a campaign going for it.

I consider Birthright to be probably the best setting I never played.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Of the published settings for D&D, Greyhawk is my favorite. Al Qadim and Kara-Tur follow reasonably closely on its heels, as does Pathfinder's Golarion.

I suppose that both Al Qadim and Kara-Tur are technically both part of the Forgotten Realms but their presentation was so separated from them that I consider them in isolation.

Balesir

Adventurer
Hey - I call shenanigans!! No one said you could have more than one choice, but after I post, everyone starts making lists already! ;)

Ahem - suffice to say that after Birthright I could add Planescape, Dark Sun, Tekumel, Al Qadim and a sneaking, cheesy nostalgia for the Judges Guild's "Wilderlands of High Fantasy" and Greyhawk...

Edit: oh, yeah - and Eberron, I forgot it (having played but not run it).

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hands down, Eberron. It hits the sweet spot for me regarding internal consistency, interesting twists on existing material and playability.

I also like that it caters to some modern sensibilities (allowing you to get a feel for the setting without being a history buff) while remaining different enough to be interesting and fantastic.

Starfox

Hero
Greyhawk. Not quite sure, but I think the sense of history is it - both the in-world history and the rl-history of such an old setting.

Other settings I love dearly are Al-Qadim and Birthright/Cerillia.

I love to steal elements from other settings such as Ravenloft, the Known World/Mystarra, Forgotten Realms, and Golarion, but I feel these settings are too much of lab environments. The various parts of the setting don't hold together organically. Instead, the creators took milieus they love and shoehorned them all into a setting without really making sure they made sense in relation to each other.

Remove ads