• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite non-book game aide.

Thulcondar

First Post
Hussar said:
Snark aside, I've been using a computer for my gaming needs since about the early 1980's when I had Basic programs for handling chargen on my Atari 800 computer. :)

I can't imagine playing D&D without a computer anymore. I know we did it once upon a time, but, adding a computer just make the game better.

And, as far as minis getting in the way of rp, haven't we beaten that horse into submission yet?

Doubtless you, with your 1,800+ posts here, may have. I, with my 6 (now going on 7) have not. I shudder to witness the state that D&D has entered in the years I've been away.

Oh, I did the whole BASIC programs when I was in high school, too. But that misses the point. I said I don't want to play a game that could require a laptop. Some of these people were talking about LCD projectors, for crying out loud. If I want to play a computer game, I'll play a computer game.

scourger

Explorer
Right now, my favorite game aid is a little thing I call the "stash & roll dice box". It's a wooden box about the size of a medium cigar box that sits flat on the table when open. I placed adhesive felt on the insides and use it to carry & roll my dice. The dice sit on one side (the stash) and the other (empty) side is a dice rolling tray. It's much more efficient than my old dice bag inside a dice tray inside a cardboard box. Lighter, too. Now, instead of getting the tray out of the box and pouring my dice on the table to pick out & roll in the tray, I just open the "stash & roll dice box" flat on the table and start gaming. When the game's over, I close the box and but it in my backpack with my books instead of putting all my dice in a bag in a tray in a box and then in my backpack.

Agamon

Adventurer
Thulcondar said:
Doubtless you, with your 1,800+ posts here, may have. I, with my 6 (now going on 7) have not. I shudder to witness the state that D&D has entered in the years I've been away.

Oh, I did the whole BASIC programs when I was in high school, too. But that misses the point. I said I don't want to play a game that could require a laptop. Some of these people were talking about LCD projectors, for crying out loud. If I want to play a computer game, I'll play a computer game.

Who said anything about 'requiring' a laptop? It's just simplified things. And, in fact, I have DMed many a game of 3E with nothing but a couple books and a scratch pad. It's all good, but I prefer using the PC.

But, yes, the game, and the way it's played, has evolved. And though I also played oD&D and AD&D 25 years ago, I welcome the change.

Tetsubo

First Post
I carry my gaming materials around in an aluminum tool briefcase. It would have to be my favorite non-book item. I use a plastic box to store my dice that has separate compartments for all of my different dice, that would be second place.

The tool briefcase ia available at Home Depot. I stole the box from an old job...

Remove ads