• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite third party monster book

Your favorite 3rd party monster book

• Monsternomicon

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Denizens of Avadnu

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Tomes of Horrors

Votes: 57 38.5%
  • Creature Collections

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Book of Fiends

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Bestiary of Krynn

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Other, please specify below

Votes: 13 8.8%

Voadam

Legend
JustKim said:
Going down a mental list of what I would call my favorites, the first one in the poll would be Creature Collection 3. I couldn't possibly call all of them my favorites, since the second and especially the first one were really poor, mechanically. So I didn't vote.

Please consider any in the series for ToH or Creature Collections as counting and just specify here which one. So feel free to vote for CC and consider it cast for CCIII.

What would be the first one not on the poll? If you like it better than CCIII then vote for other.

Huw

First Post
Monsternomicon for me. Great art, excellent background and plot hooks, and lots of attention to detail. Plus, I have a signed copy :D

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
This is a timely poll for me, since I don't have any of them and am looking at monster books as birthday presents. Anyone want to tell me how any of these books compare to the WotC monster gift set (MM2, MM3, and FF)? Thanks!

JustKim

First Post
freyar said:
This is a timely poll for me, since I don't have any of them and am looking at monster books as birthday presents. Anyone want to tell me how any of these books compare to the WotC monster gift set (MM2, MM3, and FF)? Thanks!
MM3 is an excellent book, I think the only flak it received was in response to the John Cooper review that brought to light quite a lot of (very small) errors. Fiend Folio was one of those 3.25 books, written during the revision process, and I wasn't a big fan of any particular monster. It receives pretty high praise in "favorite monster book" threads, though, so I think I am a minority.

Monster Manual 2 is alongside the worst of the third party monster books. The new monsters are dull, the updates to older monsters are way off- linnorms need to be completely rewritten- and the updates you can download for the book are only revision-related. It's worth noting that the MM2 that comes in the set has not been revised, it's simply a reprint.

My favorite? Probably Dangerous Denizens, simply because I've actually used monsters from it instead of saying I will eventually. The amount of detail was just right.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I loved the Monsternomicon and can't wait for the second volume. ToH was OK, but didn't really trip my trigger. Denizens of Avadnu is a great monster book filled with bizarre creatures unlike anything else on the market.

DMH

First Post
There is one other kind of monster book, of which I know of only one example. Genjitsu's Shaping the Self took the paragon levels and expanded the idea. More or less, they are leveled templates.

Remove ads