D&D 5E Fear spell, bonus action and form of dread

PHB 189, Bonus Actions. But it doesn't apply here, since fear does not deprive you of using an action.
I don't agree disagree, but one might also argue that Fear does deprive the PC "of the ability to take actions". Plural. It deprives the PC of taking the Attack, Dodge, Disengage, Help, etc actions. It only allows - nay forces - one very specific action: Dash. So... perhaps no bonus action after all.

That said, at our table I'd probably let it happen. This is such a very specific corner case occurrence (an enemy spellcaster catching a Pact of the Undead Warlock in a Fear cone, said Warlock having not already used their bonus action to engage their Form of Dread, said Warlock failing their proficient Wisdom save) that in the odd case that it actually happened, we might as well give the benefit of any interpretive gray area to the player.

Irlo

Hero
I don't agree disagree, but one might also argue that Fear does deprive the PC "of the ability to take actions". Plural. It deprives the PC of taking the Attack, Dodge, Disengage, Help, etc actions. It only allows - nay forces - one very specific action: Dash. So... perhaps no bonus action after all.

That said, at our table I'd probably let it happen. This is such a very specific corner case occurrence (an enemy spellcaster catching a Pact of the Undead Warlock in a Fear cone, said Warlock having not already used their bonus action to engage their Form of Dread, said Warlock failing their proficient Wisdom save) that in the odd case that it actually happened, we might as well give the benefit of any interpretive gray area to the player.
That is ... certainly an argument that one might make.

Remove ads