• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feasability of a prestige class

thol

Explorer
I would like some feedback on this prestige class for my homebrew. It pulls abilities from two other existing prestige classes, the Eye of Horus-Re and the Morninglord of Lathander.

I may modify a few of the abilities so they aren't direct ripoffs, but I want to understand if what I have now is a good balance for a prestige class.

Please be honest with your comments. Thanks!

Dawnbringer of Vesta

Hit die: d8

Class requirements

Patron deity: Vesta
Alignment: Any Good
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd-level divine spells. Must have access to the Sun domain.
Diplomacy: 5 ranks
Heal: 8 ranks
Knowledge (Religion): 8 ranks
Spellcraft: 5 ranks
Feats: Extra turning

Class Skills

Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Profession, Spellcraft, Spot

Code:
Lvl  BAB For Ref Wil   Special                  Spells per Day
 1   +0  +2  +0  +2    Radiance, Turn Undead    +1 level of existing class
 2   +1  +2  +0  +2    -                        +1 level of existing class
 3   +2  +3  +1  +3    Daylight 1/day           +1 level of existing class
 4   +3  +4  +1  +4    Hand of Vesta            +1 level of existing class
 5   +3  +4  +1  +4    -                        +1 level of existing class
 6   +4  +5  +2  +5    Extra domain             +1 level of existing class
 7   +5  +5  +2  +5    Morning favor            +1 level of existing class
 8   +6  +6  +2  +6    Prayer of Dawn           +1 level of existing class
 9   +6  +6  +3  +6    Souls' Release           +1 level of existing class
 10  +7  +7  +3  +7    Eyes of Vesta            +1 level of existing class

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Dawnbringer of Vesta prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Dawnbringers of Vesta gain no proficiency with any weapon, armor, or shield. Armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble, and double the normal armor check penalty applies to Swim checks.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new Dawnbringer of Vesta is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever divine spellcasting granted him spells before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or rebuking undead, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. This essentially means that he adds the level of Dawnbringer of Vesta to the level of whatever other divine spellcasting class granted him access to 3rd-level spells, then determins spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class that granted access to 3rd-level spells before he became a Dawnbringer of Vesta, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Dawnbringer for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Radiance (Su): When a Dawnbringer of Vesta casts any spell with the light descriptor, the resulting light is brighter than normal. The radius of illumination is doubled, and the spell is treated as if it were one level higher than it actually is for all purposes, including determining whether it can counter or dispel a Darkness spell. Thus, a daylight spell cast by a Dawnbringer of Vesta sheds light in a 120-foot radius, and is treated as a 4th-level spell, allowing it to counter or dispel any Darkness spell of 4th level or lower.

Turn Undead (Ex): A Dawnbringer of Vesta adds his radiant servant class levels to his cleric levels for all purposes related to turning undead.

Daylight (Sp): At 3rd level, the Dawnbringer of Vesta amy use daylight once per day (caster level equals Dawnbringer of Vesta's divine caster level).

Hand of Vesta (Su): When a Dawnbringer of Vesta reaches 4th level, his attacks with any weapon or an unarmed strike are treated as good-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Extra Domain: At 6th level, a Dawnbringer of Vesta gains access to one additional domain of his choice from among those offered by Vesta. He gains the granted power of the domain and can choose from its spell list as well as those of his other domains when selecting his domain spells for the day. He can still cast only one domain spell at each level (1st through 9th) per day, but now he has three choices instead of two at each spell level.

Morning Favor (Su): Beginning at 7th level, a Dawnbringer of Vesta gains a +2 morale bonus on Will saves from sunrise until noon. This ability is in effect only while he can see the sun; the effect is suppressed any time he is deprived of the sight of it during this period.

Prayer of the Dawn (Su): Once per tenday, a Dawnbringer of at least 8th level may spend one uninterrupted hour before dawn praying to Vesta, in addition to his normal praying for spells. As soon as the sun rises after this ritual, he gains one benefit of his choice from the following list.
  • Healing up to full normal hit points (self only).
  • Removal of any poisons or diseases (self only). THis effect does not restore ability damage or ability drain caused by poison or disease.
  • Full restoration of ability damage due to poison or disease.

Souls' Release (Su): In lieu of two daily uses of his turning ability, a Dawnbringer who is at least 9th level can channel the energy of Vesta into a burst that causes the lost souls of all undead within 100 feet of him to be released to their original deity. This effect deals 1d6 points of damage per Dawnbringer of Vesta level to every undead within range. Each affected undead may attempt a Reflex save (DC 20 + the Dawnbringer's Cha modifier) to halve the damage.

Eyes of Vesta (Su): When the Dawnbringer of Vesta reaches 10th level, the warmth of Vesta is perpetually within him. No matter how dark it is, the Dawnbringer sees as though the conditions were identical to the outdoors at sunrise. This ability functions like darkvision out to 60 feet, except that the Dawnbringer sees in color. The Dawnbringer also gains a +2 sacred bonus on saving throws against spells with the darkness descriptor and a +2 sacred bonus to Armor Class against all attacks from undead creatures.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
This prc is far superior to a standard cleric; it loses nothing and gains lots. Broken.

To fix it, reduce the caster level increases. I would suggest dropping the caster level increase to the following:

1st- none
2nd- +1 caster level
3rd- +1 caster level
4th- +1 caster level
5th- +1 caster level
6th- none
7th- +1 caster level
8th- +1 caster level
9th- +1 caster level
10th- +1 caster level

thol

Explorer
Well, the Morninglord of Lathander is in the same boat, losing nothing to gain a lot. Same BAB as a cleric, same saves, same spellcasting, same turning.

Obviously, I threw in some powers from the Eye of Horus-Re to replace some powers, but at higher levels than normal. I also gave no powers in two levels.

If you think I still need to cripple the spellcasting level to compensate, maybe I'll do that.

thol

Explorer
What do you think about keeping the spell progression and removing the extra domain instead?

Or reducing a save category down?

I'd rather not remove the spell progression.

the Jester

Legend
Just because there are other broken prcs doesn't justify making more. :)

If you're really dedicated to keeping the spell progression, make the HD a d6 instead of a d8. Basically, there has to be something to offset the gains they get, or else there is no reason to keep playing a cleric.

Edit: as it stands, these guys are +2 clerics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads