• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat Prerequistes

novyet

First Post
I wouldn't allow it in any campaign I run either. I have no problem with a player planning when they'll take what feat, but trying to take it before they qualify is out. Why should they get it earlier than any other character would? If they want to qualify for the feats (and the PrC) faster, then multiclassing in the option. Otherwise I'd make them tough it out. YMMV

kreynolds

First Post
Caliber said:
When they say the ability to cast detect animals and plants, do they mean have it on their spell list?

No. They mean "ability to cast detect animals and plants", just like it says. If you can't cast those yet, you don't qualify for the feat.

Caliber said:
Is it overly unbalancing or damaging to the game to allow characters to take feats that they do not meet the prerequistes for, with the understanding that the feat is unusable until they meet said requirements?...

...So if anyone has some reasons that this is a bad idea, please pass them on.

This is just like that little kid in the supermarket that keeps yanking on his mother's dress asking for a cookie that's in the shopping cart. "Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now....". I think you get the idea.

Tell your players that patience is a virtue.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
This is just like that little kid in the supermarket that keeps yanking on his mother's dress asking for a cookie that's in the shopping cart. "Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now....". I think you get the idea.

I agree completely

Magic Rub

First Post
kreynolds said:
...No. They mean "ability to cast detect animals and plants", just like it says. If you can't cast those yet, you don't qualify for the feat...
...This is just like that little kid in the supermarket that keeps yanking on his mother's dress asking for a cookie that's in the shopping cart. "Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now? Can I have it now....". I think you get the idea.

Tell your players that patience is a virtue.

You're totally correct.

DM: this is why you can't...(insert logical fool proof 'rule based' quote here)

Player: But what about if (insert munchkin' text here)

DM: Here are the rules (insert same logical fool proof rule based quote here)

Player: But, but, but, but

If I hear one more player say "But" more then once after getting a rule explained to them I'm gonna smack 'em.

Remove ads