• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feat - White Lotus Hindrance for Swordmage

afata5

First Post
I have a question regarding this. How come its a really good feat? If I am a swordmage (Sheilding), and I use this when someone is next to me. It treats the squares next to me as difficult terrain.

Why is this good for a swordmage? I have heard that it is supposed to make you more sticky but i don't see it... It may stop others from approaching, but i'm the defender, i *want* them to stick around :)

Any thoughts?

Al

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The Paragon version is brilliant, but even the Heroic version changes the battlefield when combined with Sword Burst + Arcane Admixture (Thunder) + Resounding Thunder (another Paragon feat).

Cheers, -- N

Nichwee

First Post
They can shift out. They can't shift in, or within (no shifting to reach a flanking position).
Difficult Terrain only costs extra movement to enter the square not leave it. So if they are adjacent they can shift away as they are in the DT and looking to leave it.

The Heroic version is more of a 'don't come near me' thing, as the OP suggests, so not uber for a Defender - the Paragon version is definately more Defender-like.

keterys

First Post
If you fight in confined areas or have allies behind you that you're blocking for, the heroic version still helps out a defender a lot.

For example, put a wall behind an enemy then have the swordmage turn all the other squares around that enemy into difficult terrain.

The paragon one is ridiculously good for a defender, though, especially when you can stack it with other abilities to do burst 2s and 3s at-will.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The Heroic version is best with ranged powers (so the Swordmage is a bit left out here), but it's okay for preventing Shifting around him.

At Paragon tier, the Heroic version paired with Heavy Blade Opportunity gives the Swordmage a Fighter-ish ability to stop foes from walking around him.

For a Swordmage, I prefer White Lotus Riposte. It leaves a marked target with a bad choice: attack my allies and do low damage, or attack me and injure yourself.

Cheers, -- N

Diirk

First Post
For a Swordmage, I prefer White Lotus Riposte. It leaves a marked target with a bad choice: attack my allies and do low damage, or attack me and injure yourself.

Cheers, -- N

Yeah, you need to be careful with that though, particularly if they have the capacity to make multiple attacks. Would the Hydra want to bite you 5x and take damage each time (hit or miss), or just turn and chomp on the warlock 5x having one of the hits reduced in damage?

Also you can't really attack things you don't have marked (with at-wills, anyway) unless you want them to say hi to the party rogue in an unpleasant way.

Obryn

Hero
It is really rude, but I don't know if it's necessarily best for a Defender to discourage creatures from attacking him. :)

Then again, a Shielding Swordmage can lock down an enemy's damage so completely it might not matter over-much.

-O

Remove ads