Feats for the Druid & Ranger - Please Critique

Drowbane

First Post
Capellan said:
Definitely looks that way. For 3.5, I'd suggest something like:

Improved Animal Companion [General]
Prerequisite: Animal companion class ability
Benefit: You gain a bonus to your effective druid level for the purposes of determining your animal companion's abilities. This bonus is equal to +1 for every effective druid level you already possess for the purposes of determining your animal companion's abilities, up to a maximum bonus of +3.
Special: You may take this ability multiple times. Each time you take it, your maximum bonus increases by +3.

+3 effective level per feat (which basically bumps you up one row on the chart) may be too much - you'd have to playtest it to see.

Is this an old thread?

Natural Bond from CAdv is basicly what you've described... being able to take it multiple times would be INSANE.

As is, a Druid 5 / Beastmaster 1 with Natural Bond can manage a nasty 8 HD Animal...

Thia Halmades

First Post
I'm with Drowbane, you don't want people stacking this feat. Once should be plenty.

On being able to gain the Celestial/Half-Celestial templates: Dag. Nice.

the Jester

Legend
Very cool feats. I really like them.

I would suggest putting in a prereq for the Empyreal and Infernal Wild Shape feats along the lines of Knowledge (nature) or Handle Animal (13 ranks)- I think 10th level is about the right time to get that level of coolness.

Capellan

Explorer
Drowbane said:
Natural Bond from CAdv is basicly what you've described

*shrug* Haven't seen it, and - since it isn't open content - it doesn't matter :)

I knocked up the translation in about 90 seconds and left in the "you can take this multiple times" from the prior version. On review, I'd allow still this multiple times, but only to a maximum effect of character level +3 (thus if you wanted a ranger or multi-class druid with viable animal companions, you could do it, but a single classed druid wouldn't get too out of hand).

Cabral

First Post
Nice feats. If you're going to put a skill prereq on them, I would use Knowledge (planes)

How about a third step?

Ascendant Wild Shape [Wild]
Your bond with the powers that be allow you to assume the form of a powerful servant of good.
Prerequisites: Ability to wildshape into an elemental, Blessed Wild Shape, Empyreal Wild Shape, Good Alignment
Benefit: You may expend one use your Wild Shape (Elemental) ability to change into an Outsider with the Good suptype. The size of the outsider is restricted to any size elemental you could normally wild shape into. You do not gain the spell like abilities of the Outsider. This otherwise functions as Wild Shape (Elemental).

Fallen Wild Shape [Wild]
Your bond with the powers that be allow you to assume the form of a powerful servant of evil.
Prerequisites: Ability to wildshape into an elemental, Corrupted Wild Shape, Infernal Wild Shape, Good Alignment
Benefit: You may expend one use your Wild Shape (Elemental) ability to change into an Outsider with the Good suptype. The size of the outsider is restricted to any size elemental you could normally wild shape into. You do not gain the spell like abilities of the Outsider. This otherwise functions as Wild Shape (Elemental).

(I was going to make a comment about the subtype of the outsider on the Chaos/Law axis not being able to be opposed to the druid's alignment, but druids have to retain one element of neutrality. So the only good druid is a NG druid. And the only evil druid is a NE druid.)

Dagredhel

Explorer
In order to maintain balance (pun intentional--- we're talking Druids here,) I'd suggest that the Wildshape feats be modified to allow only creatures of one size less than the maximum available to the Druid utilizing the ability.

Remove ads