D&D General Feedback for a homebrew monster

StarkMaster7

First Post
I'm new to monster home-brew and I was hoping to get some feedback. I have 5 players at level 7, but I made the mistake of giving them too many magical items early on and now they are just a little OP. Also, they have a decent healer.

This monster is meant to be a boss, one of four horseman type entities. I want it to be tough and intimidating, but hopefully no player characters die.

Side note: I have this idea where Fenris could suck some or all of the players into it's chest, which would be a pocket dimension. It sounds cool but I have no idea how they would get out. If anyone has any ideas on that, let me know. Thanks!

FENRIS, DOG OF DESPAIR
Large undead , chaotic evil
stat-block-header-bar.svg

Armor Class 15 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 210 (20d12+80)
Speed 50 ft.

STR
18 (+4)
DEX
22 (+6)
CON
17 (+3)
INT
15 (+2)
WIS
19 (+4)
CHA
20 (+5)

Skills Perception +3, Stealth +4
Damage Resistances Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing
Condition Immunities Charmed, Frightened, Poisoned
Senses Passive Perception 15
Languages --
Challenge 12 (8,400 XP)

Proficiency Bonus +4

Keen Hearing and Smell. Fenris has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
Magic Resistance. Fenris has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Legendary resistance (3/day). If Fenris fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Innate Spellcasting. Fenris can innately cast earthquake, firestorm, and cone of cold (Spell save DC 15 ), once per day. Requires no material components. It's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma.

Actions
Multiattack. Fenris uses living nightmare if he can. He can then make three attacks. One with his bite and two with his claws.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., two targets. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or become grappled.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft., two targets. Hit: 13 (1d8+4) Piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) necrotic damage.
Frightful Presence. Each creature of Fenrir's choice that is within 30 ft. of him must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to Fenris's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Legendary Actions
Bite Attack. Fenris makes a bite attack.
Deathly Thrash. All creatures within 15 feet of him must make a strength saving throw DC 15, taking 30 (5d12) bludgeoning damage on a failure, and are knocked prone. Fenrir can then move up to half his speed, without triggering attacks of opportunity.
Detect. Fenrir makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.

Nitrosaur

Explorer
Side note: I have this idea where Fenris could suck some or all of the players into it's chest, which would be a pocket dimension. It sounds cool but I have no idea how they would get out. If anyone has any ideas on that, let me know. Thanks!
For that one take a look at the Astral Dreadnaught from MToF, they have an attack thats basically that, on a timer.

Remove ads