• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feywild Reading List - Recommendations?

Klaus

First Post
Stardust, by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess.
Books of Magic #3, by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess.
Sandman #19, by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess (noticing a theme?).

In fact, here's Charles Vess' piece "Companions of the Moon":
7lg.jpg

Ethalias

First Post
I also recommend Changeling: The Lost. I browsed it in my local bookstore over coffee (a cliché true but one of my few rpg pleasures lacking much money or a FLGS) and it inspired me to run a Feywild-heavy campaign.

It's also worth noting that IIRC it includes a recommended reading list somewhere, though I may be confusing it with something else.

Actually talking about it makes me want to take another look..

What I've read of Gaiman I've enjoyed very much also.

rainmaker

First Post
I'll second the Elizabeth Bear books listed above. They're amazing books, and the fey in them are quite ruthless and other-than-human.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
It's also worth noting that IIRC it includes a recommended reading list somewhere, though I may be confusing it with something else.

It does, the list for fictional is:

-Something Wicked This Way Comes
-Johnathon Strange & Mr. Norrel
-The Stolen Child
-The King Elfland's Daughter
-Neverwhere, Anasi Boys, American Gods, Stardust and other works by
Neil Gaiman
-Gormenghast and Titus Groan
-Fables

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Funny you should mention Feist, since the only book of his I've bothered to read was called Faerie Tale. It's about a contemporary family that moves onto an estate with a tie to faerieland.

These fae are definately not nice. They draw on darker celtic and germanic legends- think Erl King, Wild Hunt, unseelie court, etc.

I liked Jack Vance's interpretation of faeries in the Lyonesse series. Perhaps a little comical in parts but heh... the Lyonesse series is close to my favourite.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Cwheeler

First Post
I'm putting in another vote for Neil Gaiman.

Also check out the works of Brian Froud, although they do relate more to the boggart-y, pexyish, mischievous side of fae than the more aloof and mysterious elements. They are great to drop in though!

Irda Ranger

First Post
Funny you should mention Feist, since the only book of his I've bothered to read was called Faerie Tale. It's about a contemporary family that moves onto an estate with a tie to faerieland.

These fae are definately not nice. They draw on darker celtic and germanic legends- think Erl King, Wild Hunt, unseelie court, etc.
Huh. I remember trying to read Faerie Tale a long time ago and putting it down after just a couple chapters because I didn't like it.

I may have to give it another shot though, as my tastes have changed just a wee bit since 7th grade. ;)

And thank you everyone for all of your suggests. I hope more come. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads