FFG SW: Edge of the Empire... Opinions?

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I'm finally going to be playing in a game instead of running one. This Saturday at Knight Watch Games in San Antonio, they're running a "demo" game in hopes of starting up a group.

This game has been out a while and I played it once about... oh... 5 years ago or so (?). As such, I know the dice system and like it. So there is no need to drive in how you don't like the dice system. Other than that, I was wondering how those who play it like it. Anything I should look out for? Be aware of? Etc.

Have to admit I'm super stoked to be able to PLAY a game instead of RUN it.

Len

Prodigal Member
As a player, any tips?
Here are a couple that come to mind:

Don't go in expecting to play Luke or Leia. FFG has other versions of the game for wannabe Jedi and rebels; Edge of the Empire is a bunch of lesser Han Solos bumming around and getting into trouble.

Even though combat uses abstract distances and doesn't require a grid, we found that minis are useful for some combats. When combatants are split into several groups, minis help to keep track of the relative distances between them. You can plop down a marker in front of a mini to indicate when a character has cover. Also, some of us had Star Wars minis we wanted to use. :)

Oh, and never trust a Hutt.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Full disclosure: I am running that game on Saturday. Glad to meet you. ;)

I've been running a regular game there every other Saturday for... well, our sixth session is next week. Do the math. And I`ll be running a special GM meetup session next Wednesday night to demonstrate the mechanics and how some of those narrative ideas and techniques can be applied in any game, regardless which system you play.

My goal is to teach newcomers how to play, and hopefully guide them to create their own game group while avoiding some of the pitfalls I encountered when I first tried out the system. It really is a great system.

My advice for Saturday is not to worry. Enjoy being a player! I got this one covered. ;)

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Full disclosure: I am running that game on Saturday. Glad to meet you. ;)
Howdy, howdy, howdy.
My advice for Saturday is not to worry. Enjoy being a player! I got this one covered. ;)
I picked up the Starter Set yesterday so I could take a quick gander at the rules. (And to spend some money at KWG. If I'm gonna use the space, I should contribute to the business!) I learn best by reading then doing.

BUT I won't even crack open the adventure to even glance at the art until AFTER we play. (Pinky Swear!!) Me like surprises. heh.

Argyle King

Legend
I highly enjoy the game. It's currently my second-favorite rpg, and I've borrowed a lot of elements from it to mix into running the game which is my first.

Remove ads