• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fibonacci's Spell Points

Sadrik

First Post
So, rather than limiting the number of 6th level and higher slots, why not make them actually taxing to cast. As a clean design of anything, you do not want to place arbitrary limits on things if you can easily instill a design principle into the rules that allows the player to weigh the differences and come to the right decision. Hard coded limits often seems strange and inorganic. Why are stats limited to 20 for instance. Game balance. But it feels weird. Same with spell points, why can you only use 1 6th level slot per day? Game balance. The thing is though if you want to break that, you have to balance that against the penalty of using it a second time. Perhaps it wipes out your spell points to do so. Further why can you use only 1 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th and not 4 6th? that is weird.

In comes the Fibonacci sequence. It is an additive sequence that can do some pretty neat things. Look it up on youtube. So what if the cost for spells utilized this sequence for spell points. Ignoring 0 and 1 (more on 1 later) you get...

1 2
2 3
3 5
4 8
5 13
6 21
7 34
8 55
9 89

If you want to express casting powerful spells taking more out of the caster this certainly does that. It fairly closely resembles the 1st through 4th level costs but then marginally increases for 5th and then dramatically increases for 6th and above.

At 17th level, when you get 9th level spells you get 107 and a 9th level spell costs 89 to cast. That is crazy. Well yeah maybe. I would change the spell points to be 10 per level (200 SP at 20th). Yes this increases the low level SP. I would change this for one reason, I would make cantrips cost 1. This balances out the low level with the high level and makes it a nice easy number to work with. If you like unlimited magic of cantrips you can keep cantrips at 0 cost and use the standard spell point table. But going with 10 per level for full casters, arcane knight gets 5 per level, and a ranger gets 7.5 per level.

Fibonacci spell points, there you have it.

Remove ads