D&D 5E Fighter Non-Combat Ability Brainstorm

aco175

Legend
Can you add other options to the Action Surge and 2nd Wind? This way you don't need more powers to track, just additional ways to use the ones you have.

Action surge can do things like make another check or save, perhaps with advantage and 2nd wind seems like you should be gaining something like removing exhaustion or breaking an enchantment or such.

Some more funny abilities could be;
Swift Kick- kicking something to make it work, such as a fixing a wagon or getting an animal to do something.
Beer and Wenches- You use your swagger to make things cost less for you.
Earshot- your just around the corner when your fighting abilities are needed by the rest of the party. They may be investigating the library and speaking with the mayor, but you are enjoying the Beer and Wenches ability when trouble breaks out.
550 cord and 100mph tape- You can fix anything for a time, getting you back to town at least.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
@Quartz @dave2008

You give me too much credit. I started to work on a Warrior class in early 2017, but never finished or did any substantive playtesting. My "camp talents" were similar to the ideas that @dnd4vr was sharing.
I know what that's like, I'm often creating classes/subclasses but never finishing them. I've just had another read of it, your warrior class was a full class with a half dozen subclasses, a large undertaking. It looked like it was shaping up to be an cool class with some great ideas.

OK. Lets start throwing things out there.
I have suggested levels for these, but could do with suggestions to fit them better.
These are mostly based off the concept of the Fighter as a highly trained and practical person with solid knowledge of tools and items other than weapons.
Nothing here should be of excessive power or step on too many toes, particularly given most fighter's stat distribution: They are designed to give the fighter some non-combat options to aid the party narrative without impinging on the power of most spells or rituals.

Grounded: A fighter's training is generally less esoteric than a spellcaster, and less isolated than a Rogue's. It often brings them in contact with the lives of people around them.
The Fighter gains an additional Background, with associated proficiencies.
At 6th level, the Fighter may apply their proficiency bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma checks relating to people within either of their backgrounds. If they have the relevant skill proficiency, they may apply twice their proficiency bonus.
The Fighter's experience with tools also extends beyond those used for killing. At 6th level they gain proficiency in two sets of Artisan's tools, or vehicles. If they are already proficient, they may apply twice their proficiency bonus to checks involving them.

Practical planning: The Fighter is an old hand at packing and carrying gear, planning ahead and improvising items. Once per long rest, the fighter may produce mundane items that they had not declared on their character sheet. The character must lose funds equal to the item's price when they produce it, and the items cannot weigh more than the character's Strength score. If the item could be made by a set of tools that the character is proficient in and has available, this weight limit is doubled.

Strife in all its forms: The Fighter can apply their training and knowledge of combat to noticing related details, and their perception and common sense to issues of strategy and tactics.
When making an Intelligence or Wisdom ability check relating to combat, the Fighter may apply both their Intelligence and Wisdom modifiers to the roll. Combat-related checks could range from Wisdom(Insight) checks to determine whether a thug is ready to fight or just posturing, to Knowledge(History) checks to recall details about a historic battle. The DM is the arbitrator of what constitutes combat-related.
The Fighter also adds both Intelligence and Wisdom bonuses to their Initiative.

Stalker0

Legend
If you want to go simple, instead of expertise you can go with a "reliable" option. You can go with a "grace under pressure" option for certain skills...and then use your skills to get various non-combat option.

Another option is allowing Action Surge to grant a +4 to a check or a something (bardic inspiration like but just with the surge).

Quartz

Hero
Grounded: A fighter's training is generally less esoteric than a spellcaster, and less isolated than a Rogue's. It often brings them in contact with the lives of people around them.
The Fighter gains an additional Background, with associated proficiencies.
At 6th level, the Fighter may apply their proficiency bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma checks relating to people within either of their backgrounds. If they have the relevant skill proficiency, they may apply twice their proficiency bonus.

I like this but I would suggest Fighters riff off the Bard's Jack of All Trades and add half their Proficiency Bonus to non-proficient checks.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It might help to start at an extreme. Suppose a fighter auto succeeded on every skill check he ever attempts. Would that actually be enough to bring him up to a wizard or even surpassing a wizard?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases