D&D 5E Fighter Non-Combat Ability Brainstorm

Tony Vargas

Legend
Bounded accuracy does prevent breaking away from the d20, but an archer fighter might not have been the best example. Fighters can sneak bonuses into that type of contest. Against an unmodified d20 that caps out a +14.
Precisely why I chose it. It's about as good as a fighter can do at displaying superior skill, /because he's a fighter/.
Damage and Extra Attacks don't show up in any sort of formal contest, but Archery Style's +2 is relevant to hitting that ittybitty target downrange.
(Though I would skip feats, as their optional, we're spotting the fighter a 20 DEX and 20 levels vs 10 DEX an no proficiency, that speaks to having put ASIs to that stat. So, I mean, seriously. It should be an absolute route from the get-go, in concept.)
I'd also rather just leave Adv/Dis out of it - it's a fair contest, no one's at a disadvantage. (Or, hey, everyone is given time to aim carefully in a safe environment - automatic advantage for all - and also under the stress of competition, for automatic disadvantage. There, gone. ;P )

Depending on the structure of the archery contest, you might be guaranteed to place well, or you might drop out in the early rounds. For instance, if it's single elimination of pairs - whoever gets closest to the bullseye moves on. The fighter only needs to roll really bad - under 6, while the other guy rolls really well, and he's out. If he overwhelmed the d20, he'd stride through the ordinary competitors without effort, splitting the arrow of anyone who rolled a 20 like Robin Hood, but, at "only" +14, he's subject to one bad roll undoing him.
Now, if it's a methodical contest on points, where everyone fires 100 arrows and totes up points for which band they hit on the target, the fighter wins handily. But I don't recall Robin ever winning on points. ;)

Last edited:

Ashrym

Legend
@Tony Vargas I would actually say the contestants are not in combat so the highest bonus would be the winner. That's one of things I do see as a drawback, however; it takes the suspense out of the event. Assigning a static target AC might be the better way to go.

As for the roll, that minimum is on a d12 and d20 both rolling a 1 -- the odds are drastically against only rolling a 15 for the archer. The average roll with that bonus is 30. The fighter with that bonus should be able to Robin Hood the target, then split the arrow, then split the second arrow again fairly easily based on the 5e DC scale and that result.

Would you consider simply narrating it because that's what should happen, or would you work out a static target number?

EDIT: that bonus is using expertise dice, if I forgot to mention it

Ashrym

Legend
Ummm using weapons... is now affected by expertise?
Typo. Too many long posts lately. It's the superiority die at that level for the precision maneuver. Alternatively, you could always use the push attack maneuver and knock the target back 15 feat to show off. ;)

Wiseblood

Adventurer
That’s not a scar, this is a scar! The fighter can fascinate/distract one person (or a number equal to proficiency) by getting them to compare scars. (This can take up to one minute per level) at the end of the time the fighter gains advantage on one charisma based check to influence participants of the conversation or interested onlookers.

Rub some dirt on it. The fighter can gain temporary hit points equal to 1/2 the damage of the last hit recieved.

Plans are useless but planning is essential. a fighter can take 15 on an ability check in lieu of rolling if they spend ten minutes planning. The particular ability must be declared at the time of planning. The fighter must complete a short or long rest before using this again.

snickersnax

Explorer
I've come late to this thread, but I see enhancing abilities that the fighter already has as a great place to start. Many of the fighter abilities seem like they are unnecessarily weak already and enhancing them doesn't infringe on anyone else's role.

"...as fighters, they all share an unparalleled mastery with weapons and armor, and a thorough knowledge of the skills of combat."

Possible enhancements:

All fighters get defensive fighting style. Defensive fighting style is an odd duck among the fighting styles, the rest are actually fighting styles.

Great weapon fighting : reroll one weapon die. This elegant houserule makes greatsword and great axe nearly mechanically equivalent.

Remarkable athlete: you can add your full proficiency bonus to all Strength, Dexterity and Constitution checks, even if you already do (essentially expertise, except for a few specialty checks). Otherwise this champion feature should be renamed the Ho-hum Athlete.

Student of war: this should include proficiency with all siege equipment.

Know your enemy: this should easily be a bonus action rather than a 1 minute activity. And perhaps even give exact stats except maybe hit points.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Would you consider simply narrating it because that's what should happen, or would you work out a static target number?
It seems to be that kind of decision is based on the stakes of the contest. This is indeed a rare not combat but something his weapon use applies to situation - sort of an ironman of the argument saying see look once in a blue moon their class feature applies outside of combat ALL must be just fine.
And yes you just pointed out the one flavor of fighter has what I mentioned (an I can do the impossible at high level once in a while stunt )

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Know your enemy: this should easily be a bonus action rather than a 1 minute activity. And perhaps even give exact stats except maybe hit points.
I wonder if we could tie skills in somehow... what if they get various things depending on the skill they have trained for instance the insta knowledge you mention sounds like investigation or insight. All fighters can do it..

I admit to wanting more ways skills and mental attributes have an impact on combat and the fighter

Last edited:

Remove ads