• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fighter or Bladelock

newsman77

First Post
Hmmm a GWM guy will get dwarfed by the SS Archer Fighter. I would go with the Jedi theme. Best of luck!

Why is that?

If you had a Human Variant Polearm Master Fighter who took GWM at 4th, stat bump at 6th and maybe another feat at 8th, couldn't you keep up, if not top the Archer? PM would give you the bonus attack the Archer is missing, plus a reliable way to get combat advantage to offset the -5 (using the optimal flanking rules which our table uses). You'd also be able to get reliable OA's when bad guys move into your threat range. not to mention the extra damage dice the Battlemaster would give you.

All in all, the Jedi sounds immensely useful for all around versatility. Do you favor the dex build or STR with PM?

Last edited:

Fortress13

First Post
I'll have to agree with Mirtek. Beginning with a level of Fighter, then multiclassing and leveling up as a bladelock, will allow you to play that heavier armored class, while still getting to use those force-themed powers the warlock can give you.

Unwise

Adventurer
To me the original question is really simple. Around here nobody likes to play with or DM for a Devil Sight + Darkness Warlock. It is just not fun. At best it makes every fight the same.

Battlemaster all the way. They are a great class. It looks like you are going for some pretty powerful options. If that is the case, you could go Dex based, get Sharpshooter and Crossbow master, put on a poncho and be a Clint Eastwood style character. Less AC, but having two shooters and shooting a weapon out of somebody's hand with Disarm is pretty damn cool. Some basic Survival, Horseriding and Intimidate makes for a good Pale Rider style character. Especially as you are a member of an order, you could have the dog-collar equivalent.

newsman77

First Post
To me the original question is really simple. Around here nobody likes to play with or DM for a Devil Sight + Darkness Warlock. It is just not fun. At best it makes every fight the same.

Battlemaster all the way. They are a great class. It looks like you are going for some pretty powerful options. If that is the case, you could go Dex based, get Sharpshooter and Crossbow master, put on a poncho and be a Clint Eastwood style character. Less AC, but having two shooters and shooting a weapon out of somebody's hand with Disarm is pretty damn cool. Some basic Survival, Horseriding and Intimidate makes for a good Pale Rider style character. Especially as you are a member of an order, you could have the dog-collar equivalent.

Well, shoot. *pun intended* Here I was all set for the Jedi and you throw out Clint Eastwood?? How cool will it be to start down the bad guy and go "I know what you're thinking, does he have five bolts or six? Well ask yourself, do you feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?"

Remove ads