• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fighting Defensively & Movement

Ranes

Adventurer
Morning all,

I wonder if anyone else would care to give a view on a ruling I just encountered. Driven by a combination of insomnia and lack of companionship, I decided to take the Herald GM test over at the RPGA site. I answered a few questions incorrectly before I cracked it but one in particular struck me. The question was (and this is a cut & paste quote so don't shoot me for its grammar and syntax):

If Tordek, a dwarf fighter with Speed 20 ft., is fighting defensively this round. What is the maximum move he can make this round?

I answered five-foot step but the test said I was incorrect. Let me tell you now that the answer given on the site was this:

Answer: b. 20 feet.
Source: Player's Handbook page 124.

Well, what got me was that on that page, the description of Fighting Defensively (middle of the second column) says fighting defensively is something the character can do when taking the full attack action. The description of full attack (at the bottom of the first column) says:

"Full attack is a full-round action. Because of this, the only movement you can take during a full attack is a five-foot step."

So, is the test in error? I can't see where I've misunderstood. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
At the top of the first column, though, it says that you can fight defensively with the attack action.

Therefore he can fight defensively with a single attack, and move 20 feet... or he can fight defensively with a full attack, and move 5 feet.

Thus, his maximum move is 20 feet.

-Hyp.

hammymchamham

First Post
what Smurf said. You where looking under the Full Attack description which says you can use the fight defensively action in a full attack. You can also use the F.D. for one attack, then move.

Ranes

Adventurer
Ah, thanks Hypersmurf. Woe betide any RPGA members who ever get me as their DM... when I'm suffering from insomnia. D'oh is me.

Ditto, Hammy. Thanks.

:)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads